Re: Two questions about the Web Intents.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Paul Kinlan <paulkinlan@google.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some comments inline.
>
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Gaowenmei <gaowenmei@huawei.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hello,everyone:****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I am a newcomer here. These days I was studying the web intents spec and
>> felt great interest in this technology. Now I have some small questions,
>> and hope someone can help me to clarify the confusion.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> 1) When we click a button in the client page and trigger the
>> "startActivity()", UA will pop up a intent list and we will see some
>> suggestions there. I am wondering where are the suggestions from? Does the
>> UA search the intent services in real time? (for example, Chrome will
>> search the suitable intent services from the Chrome web app store?)
>>

> The current implementation in Chrome understands the action and the data
> type so it can query the Chrome webstore to get a list of suitable apps.
>  Claes and others on this list are working on the UPNP discovery for
> external networked services that support the same actions on data.
>
> The actual method of suggestions is not too important once you realise
> that we have these two key pieces of information we can use to discover
> compatible services.  The UA may choose to cache service suggestions, query
> a service, or provide no suggestions at all.
>

>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> 2) Can the user manually add a URL to the popup intent list as a intent
>> service page? Thus, the user can add some intent service pages which are
>> found by himself or forwarded by his friends. This will be very useful for
>> users.
>>

> Not quite, the developer will be able to specify their own suggestions in
> the "suggestions" attribute of the Intent constructor object.  With the
> current implementation in Chrome you would ask the user to install the app
> from the store.

However it's important to keep in mind that the <intent> tag causes a web
page to be registered as an intent service once the user visits the page,
so in essence the user does have a way to "manually add" a service.  It
stretches the definition of 'manually' though, as <intent> tag registration
is designed tob

Thanks,
James