RE: Web Intents based APIs

See inline, [Jungkee]

From: Greg Billock [mailto:gbillock@google.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:33 AM
To: Nilsson, Claes1
Cc: public-web-intents@w3.org
Subject: Re: Web Intents based APIs

Return types are harder.

It'd be really nice to specify Blobs for binary MIME types and raw text
content for text MIME types as return values. There are a couple of thorny
problems with that at present, however. Blobs aren't transferable, and so
are not supported as return types. I think we will achieve a solution to
this, but not for a while. Looking at Android intents, they really favor URL
return types, and those are much more convenient in many cases than Blobs.
Additionally, we don't have any metadata construct for return types at
present.

[Jungkee] this is exactly what I have been pondered upon. The Gallery API
certainly needs a type to return "mediaObject" (and its array.)  Regarding
Blob vs URL, I tried both in the demo (though I sent the JSON stringified
object with metadata in fact.) The result is, with the service side hosted
on a public node server, the Blob approach does not seem to work well (even
only for dozens of hundred-KB-size images.)

I think if we would take the Blob approach into account, we need to add a
way for the invocation side to asynchronously access the returned data in
the callback.

So I'm leaning towards this prescription for return types for MIME: the
service should strive to return the same type (url or text/blob) that it was
given. If it knows that won't work, or if it is too onerous, it can return a
url instead of the raw text/blob data. This puts a burden on the client to
check the return value's type to see if it is Blob/text or url. I don't
think that's too painful, but it is definitely a downside. In addition, we
should add the corresponding web messaging transferables array and extras to
the return type to match the invocation side. This'll help us out as Blobs
become better options, but URLs are so convenient (as can be seen by Android
usage), that they aren't expected to go away.

Any reactions or ideas? There's some good parts here, but there's a lot not
to like about this plan, so I'd be really happy to hear a better option!

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM, KOMATSU Kensaku <kensaku.komatsu@gmail.com>