Re: Is there an existing mechanism that can be used for WebIntents?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Mike Kelly <mikekelly321@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM, James Hawkins <jhawkins@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> There are a few drawbacks with using the link element.
>> * link must appear in the head and is a void element.
>>   - This prevents the use case of the service site providing alternative
>> UI if <intent> is not supported: <intent ...>Intents are not supported!
>>  Check out this work-around</intent>
>

> Both of these issues are worth exploring with html5 working group, more than
> happy to get involved on this.
>

>> * In the current syntax you provided, how would the UA know this is an
>> intent registration?  Per the spec, |action| is just a string; we use URLs
>> to set precedence as a developer-friendly way of documenting the action.
>

> Presumably UAs only react to the @action tokens they understand? Using link
> will provide them with a slightly larger set of elements to go through to
> find these, which should not present an issue - am I missing something here?

An intent action string can be any string - it is simply a token that
the client and service agree to use to discover each other and have an
accepted basic protocol for data exchange - an enterprise application
that never sees the light of day on the open internet could define
"fluffykittens" as an action name (although that would be a terrible
name) and as long as their client and service applications used
fluffykittens they would be able to discover each other.

>> * We'd have to change the HTML parsing algorithm.
>>

> I'm not au fait with the implementation here, is this a significant
> undertaking?
>

>> Can you share your objections to using the <intent> element?
>

> It is, ostensibly, a link.. so why not expose it as one? There is a lot of
> existing web infrastructure that is already geared up to work with links.
> e.g. atom has a link element, we have the Link header in HTTP, and links and
> relations are already familiar to developers.
>
> Linking is a very 'web' thing, so re-using <link> would make web intents
> 'fit in' better with the rest of the web.

It doesn't have to be a link, absence of a link infers the current
page.  Added to this, the remote page has no need to be fetched which
the <link> element is meant to acheive, i.e, this page enhances the
current page - the intent href semantically doesn't mean this.