Re: Is there an existing mechanism that can be used for WebIntents?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM, James Hawkins <jhawkins@chromium.org>wrote:

> There are a few drawbacks with using the link element.
> * link must appear in the head and is a void element.
>   - This prevents the use case of the service site providing alternative
> UI if <intent> is not supported: <intent ...>Intents are not supported!
>  Check out this work-around</intent>

Both of these issues are worth exploring with html5 working group, more
than happy to get involved on this.

> * In the current syntax you provided, how would the UA know this is an
> intent registration?  Per the spec, |action| is just a string; we use URLs
> to set precedence as a developer-friendly way of documenting the action.

Presumably UAs only react to the @action tokens they understand? Using link
will provide them with a slightly larger set of elements to go through to
find these, which should not present an issue - am I missing something here?

> * We'd have to change the HTML parsing algorithm.

I'm not au fait with the implementation here, is this a significant
undertaking?

> Can you share your objections to using the <intent> element?

It is, ostensibly, a link.. so why not expose it as one? There is a lot of
existing web infrastructure that is already geared up to work with links.
e.g. atom has a link element, we have the Link header in HTTP, and links
and relations are already familiar to developers.

Linking is a very 'web' thing, so re-using <link> would make web intents
'fit in' better with the rest of the web.

Cheers,
Mike