Re: Mapping WebIntents to Network Service Discovery API

On 7/1/12 00:43 , James Hawkins wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Clarke Stevens<C.Stevens@cablelabs.com>  wrote:
>> [...]Here's a scenario that has probably already been explored that illustrates
>> my question:
>>
>> 1) The client wishes to print a document.
>> 2) The client requests a "print" WebIntent with the document as the data.
>> 3) A handful of printers that can handle the "print" WebIntent respond.
>> 4) The client selects a printer to handle the print request.
>> 5) Printing begins.
>> 6) The printer runs out of paper before the document is completely
>> finished.
>> 7) The client is notified that the printer is out of paper *** This is the
>> step I don't understand how to do with WebIntents ***
> Since there is no backround disposition, the service must display some
> UI for the duration of the intent handling; this is where the service
> (the printer driver I imagine) notifies the user the printer is out of
> paper.

JCD: Hmmm! I am not sure.
If you think that the intent handling is synchronous, and there is a
blocking call somewhere, then yes, you can have a window displaying an
animation to signal the need for waiting.
If the intent handling is asynchronous, then I would need a "intent
handling start" event, a "intent handling finish" event, as well as
"intent handling problem message" event to implement what you say. I do
not think this is in the scope of Web Intents.

I suspect the correct answer is actually: Clarke, you are on your own
for that.
Web Intents does not help.
Web Intents just manages establishing the communication between service
requester and service implementer.
The intent implementation needs to establish and keep a communication
channel open for such cases.

Right ?
JC

--