Re: Status of my Actions from Shenzhen meeting (relating to Web Intents for local network service discovery)

On 25/4/12 13:54 , Nilsson, Claes1 wrote:
> ACTION-510: Create new spec how WebIntents UPnP registration
>
> Our idea is to add Intents Service markup to the UPnP Device
> Description xml-document. We are prototyping this idea and also
> considering the alternative solution to instead just have a URL to a
> Web Intents Service registration page in the UPnP Device Description
> xml-document. One motivation for that is that it would be easier to
> adapt to standardization changes for registration (referring to
> discussions on this list and WHAT WG), e.g. usage of a JS API for
> registration.

JCD: I am really uneasy about this push.
To reformulate, Claes' proposal is to modify UPnP discovery to ease the
interworking with Web Intents.

There are many reasons why it would be preferrable to modify Web Intents
to fit with UPnP rather than the opposite, including:
- UPnP is a standard from another organisation, it is so much easier to
change our own standard
- UPnP is already complete (version 4?) and implemented in many devices,
and Web Intents is just a draft
- counting on UPnP extensions has the potential of dramatically reducing
the number of Web Intents compatible devices

During the F2F, Giuseppe remarked "we want to reuse existing devices".

I think any departure from that possible reuse of existing devices needs
to be thoroughly justified.
Best regards
JC

--