Re: Is discovery good enough for wider use cases

On 4/16/2012 4:08 PM, Greg Billock wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Charles Pritchard<chuck@jumis.com>  wrote:
>>> No no no.
>>>
>>> The web page calls intent.setDefault before it tries to trigger an Intent.
>>> When it triggers an Intent, the user sees a list of choices or whatever of
>>> which its default/fallback thing is listed.
>>> Thus the user can trigger the fallback. If the user selects the fallback,
>>> the fallback intent is triggered just as any other intent would be
>>> triggered.
>>
>> So, we'd have "explicit" intents; which do not pop open a picker, and they
>> go directly to a specified site.
>> Then we have "default" intents, which, like explicit intents does not
>> require pre-registration.
>> And then we've got normal activity, which opens a picker.
>>

>> Would having a default intent setup require the picker to popup?
>> Explicit intents do not require the picker.
>>
>> A default intent to me, could just as easily go straight through without a
>> picker, if no other matches are found.
>> But it could also have the picker, for the little bit of adware that says
>> "click here for more intents".
>>
>> To put it another way... for "default" intents, would we say that the user
>> agent MAY display a picker?
> Agreed that these seem like very similar concepts, and it'd be nice to
> be able to cleanly and clearly have them share the things they have in
> common while delineate the use cases. Any ideas about that? My current
> best idea is to have a parallel parameter ("suggestedServices"?) with
> a list of proposed service pages, but if there's an better way to say
> that I'm all ears.

I'm a little worried about the Intent constructor growing any further.

Seems like "explicit" and "suggested" could both use the same method
though, where-ever we stick it.

I've not heard a call out for it, but what if you wanted to have
multiple "explicit" services?

Let's say I -only- want to allow posting to two locations, but the user
can choose which one.

That's the same construct as setting the default/suggestions, except
that explicit limits the picker, whereas suggestions allows additional
options.
It may be convoluted...

But anyway, I agree: suggestedServices would work for setting an
explicit or defaults/suggestions, given a simple toggle.

-Charles