Re: Is discovery good enough for wider use cases

On 4/16/2012 9:00 AM, Josh Soref wrote:
> Glenn wrote:
>> >  So Greg/Josh correct if I am wrong, the intent.setDefault is fired after the
>> >  window.navigator.startActivity function is called, but only if no registered
>> >  matching verb/data type is found.
> No no no.
>
> The web page calls intent.setDefault before it tries to trigger an Intent.
> When it triggers an Intent, the user sees a list of choices or whatever of which its default/fallback thing is listed.
> Thus the user can trigger the fallback. If the user selects the fallback, the fallback intent is triggered just as any other intent would be triggered.

So, we'd have "explicit" intents; which do not pop open a picker, and
they go directly to a specified site.
Then we have "default" intents, which, like explicit intents does not
require pre-registration.
And then we've got normal activity, which opens a picker.

Would having a default intent setup require the picker to popup?
Explicit intents do not require the picker.

A default intent to me, could just as easily go straight through without
a picker, if no other matches are found.
But it could also have the picker, for the little bit of adware that
says "click here for more intents".

To put it another way... for "default" intents, would we say that the
user agent MAY display a picker?

-Charles