RE: Is discovery good enough for wider use cases

Greg Billock wrote:
>That's next on my list of things to send. :-)

>Glenn, does the ability to use defaults satisfy your concerns? I agree
>that sending users to an empty picker is a non-starter. We're pretty
>hesitant about any kind of isRegistered due to the super-cookie
>implications. For use cases we've thought about, the transformation is
>something like this:

>if (isRegistered(my intent)) {
>  // do intents!
>} else {
>  // do something;
>}

>my intent.setDefault(whatever the fallback would have been);
>do Intents!

>Any other insights into your thinking about intents would be great to
>hear, too!

So Greg/Josh correct if I am wrong, the intent.setDefault is fired after the
window.navigator.startActivity function is called, but only if no registered
matching verb/data type is found. If so that's an interesting approach, it
would suit a single button pop-up that either invoked the Web Intents UI
or an alternative JavaScript overlay created in the DOM.
intent.setDefault(function(){
                    ... Create popup with share options for user
})

So the use case we would really want is something like this: We add a number

of URL share buttons i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Linkedin within the

page as it renders. On page ready we test for web intents and then test to see

if there is a service registered for the verb/data type. Only then do we use

JavaScript to remove the proprietary URL share buttons and replace it with

a single button which can invoke the Web Intents UI.

The main difference seems to be that you have moved the point where you test

to the first point of user interaction. This resolves the security problems, but does

not cover the use case above in the way we would like.

If I understand intent.setDefault correctly it's a halfway house. I may be able to

design something like the idea on slides 6-8

http://www.slideshare.net/glennjones/web-intentsactions-ux-challenges <http://www.slideshare.net/glennjones/web-intentsactions-ux-challenges> . When

you click on it the default is called and an overlay is created in the DOM with

the proprietary share buttons. A bit like the AddThis overlay.

For other verb/data type combinations the intent.setDefault may not be as useful.

It still feels like the security issue has removed the full power of discovery.

The intent.setDefault helps but only so far.

Thanks

Glenn Jones