Re: Web Intents - Suggested Deliverables (part 2)

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Greg Billock <gbillock@google.com> wrote:

>> Basic Audiences: Clients, User Agents, Partner Providers, and Users.
> As a linguistic note, Paul, James and I have been referring to "Partner
> Providers" as "Services."

I intentionally picked awkward terms so that I wouldn't step on anyone
else's terms and also with the hope that people could list pairings
where they exist.

>> D. Action Description Framework.

> Our proposal
> at https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/developers/design-documents/webintentsapi
> focuses on the API syntax, but these definitions will be very
> important. http://webintents.org/#defaultintents has more of our current
> thinking on this.

App Engine Error

    Over Quota
    This Google App Engine application is temporarily over its serving
quota. Please try again later.

For posterity, and the benefit of readers, could you possibly at some
point provide the current thinking to the list?

>> Now that could be one document, but I expect at least Five.
>> Probably 3 + n × (Best Practices) + m × (Basic Actions).
>
> Sounds good to me. What's your advice? Is it better to structure it as fewer
> documents (with anchors to sections of course)? Or is it more digestible to
> structure it as more documents?

I tend to start writing documents and just letting them grow. This
thread is for Part 2 of what I believe is 5 items (I'm almost ready to
send the last 2 parts) was originally going to be a single message. I
got feedback that it was likely to hit TL;DR if i sent it that way, so
I split it up.

I believe that most of these items will be fairly independent, once
terminology is chosen. As someone who is going to be looking at into
doing something will probably only care about one section at a time.
If they're writing a Partner Provider, the only parts that would
interest them at all are Best Practices for Partner Providers, User
Agent Bindings, Action Description Framework, and Basic Action
examples. And at any point in time, they're really only going to care
about one of those things. The other sections would get in their way.

We could go the HTML5 approach of having a single Full Document and
splitting it into subdocuments, but I suspect the CSS3 approach of
multiple small documents with someone occasionally stitching them
together would be better.