Re: Web Intents and Home Networking Scenarios

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Nilsson, Claes1
<Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Comments inline below.
>
> Regards
>  Claes

Right. My goal was to see how close we come "out of the box" with a
simple RPC-style interaction to satisfying the various use cases, and
see where the gaps are that would need a persistent connection.

The idea would be to use the Web Intents API, and layer the control of
stereo/TV gear on top of it. I think this accomplishes many use cases
(and I suspect they are probably the most common ones), but there are
some it doesn't really handle directly as an RPC style architecture.
I'm not sure how important those use cases are for the ecosystem. If
they're really important, we should think about whether using Web
Intents strictly as a discovery mechanism is the right way to go. If
they're more peripheral, then perhaps this kind of advanced use can be
left for exceptional cases and a more RPC-style interface layered on
top of the most natural use of Web Intents is the way to go for the
main feature set.

What's your view of the relative importance of the use cases, and
whether it makes sense to separate them like this? (I suspect the
user-facing impact would be that some simple apps wouldn't make use of
it at all, or that for more sophisticated apps users might face an
additional permission-granting step for advanced functionality.)