Re: WADL documentation stylesheet fails with Amazon item search example in WADL spec

On 30/10/2008, at 12:24 PM, Matson Wade wrote:

> I’m considering using WADL, but only if I can generate reasonable
> documentation. So as a test of the WADL-to-HTML documentation
> stylesheet, I took the “Amazon Item Search” example from the
> appendix of the WADL spec and tried to transform it using
> “wadl_documentation.xls”.

What version of the stylesheet are you using? The Amazon example in
the spec is uses the 07 namespace, but it appears to be using the 10
syntax; Marc?

> The transformation failed with both XMLSpy and Oxygen. The error I
> received in XMLSpy is on line 169 of the XSLT: “Function not in
> namespace, Error in XPath expression, Function not in namespace”.

What XSLT processor did you use? Oxygen, at least, can use a variety.
The instructions clearly say that EXSLT support is required.

If I change the namespace to 10 and run it with saxon against the 10
stylesheet (the 07 stylesheet isn't supported any more), I get;

~> saxon amazon.xml http://www.mnot.net/webdesc/
wadl_tation-2006-10.xsl > amazon.html
Warning: at xsl:stylesheet on line 40 of http://www.mnot.net/webdesc/wadl_documentation-2006-10.xsl
:
   Running an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet with an XSLT 2.0 processor
Error on line 173 of http://www.mnot.net/webdesc/wadl_documentation-2006-10.xsl
:
   FODC0005: java.io.FileNotFoundException: AWSECommerceService.xsd
(No such file or directory)

The warning about XSLT 1.0 can be ignored; the error is because I
haven't bothered to download Amazon's schema. The HTML it produces
looks right, taking this into account.

> Has this stylesheet been used at all beyond the Yahoo example?

I'm aware of a fair number of people who use it to document services,
both inside my company and outside.

> Is it possible to fix the stylesheet so that it works with the
> examples from the spec?

I think it's more a matter of fixing the example, at least in this case.

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot@yahoo-inc.com