Re: Assumptions about non-POST methods in Web description

On 3/21/06, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> That's just a straw man, I can see other formulations. The point is
> to encourage people NOT to think of this in terms of WSDL operations.

+1!  I used this approach for RDF Forms.  For example, one can use it
to declare;

<rf:Container rdf:about="some-uri"/>

which means "the resource identified by that URI is a Container",
where Containers are defined by the spec to be resources to which data
can be submitted, like HTTP POST, NNTP POST, SMTP DATA, XMPP message,
etc... Similarly;

<rf:Settable rdf:about="some-uri"/>

says that the resource's state can be set explicitly, ala HTTP PUT,
FTP STOR, etc..

On the other hand, I don't know why POST is special from this POV.
It's the "catch all" semantic for tunneling, but outside of that, has
as well-defined and general a meaning as any other operation...  which
is by far the most predominant use of POST; HTML forms.

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.       http://www.markbaker.ca