Role of operations?

Stefan,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:04:06PM +0200, Stefan Tilkov wrote:
> But if you want to generate code from the service description - and
> I'm not arguing for it, just pointing out the options - there will be
> some abstract description of what interactions (to avoid the term
> 'operations') are possible, and what data is being exchanged.

I don't think you can so easily sweep the operation under the rug.

By choosing to publish a RESTful service (ah, it's nice to be able to
treat that as axiomatic for once! 8-), the service provider has
explicitly opted to avoid application specific operations, and use uniform
ones instead.  I don't think it's in in the interest of either the
service provider, nor would-be consumers, to introduce other operations
in a description language, since at best IMO, they'd just serve to
confuse.

For that reason, I don't think the Py* libraries constitute a good
example of what it is we're trying to accomplish/enable here.

Cheers,

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.          http://www.markbaker.ca