Re: Code generation or forms?

Hi Stefan,

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:39:14AM +0200, Stefan Tilkov wrote:
> Mark Pilgrim (http://diveintomark.org/projects) has numerous small
> Python wrappers around popular "Web APIs". They don't do much you
> couldn't do yourself, but they still provide a simplified view that
> makes them very easy to use.
>
> Code like this is IMO the standard example of what one could have
> generated from a machine-readable description.

Really?  I wouldn't have thought so.  Let's take a closer look...

In PyAmazon[1] for example, I see code which basically hides the HTTP
interface from a developer behind a custom API of "browseBestSellers",
"searchBy*", and "searchSimilar" operations.  While this API may very
well be useful for developers, it's not something that a service
provider will provide, since they have no stake in what particular
local API any consumer of their service uses.

I mean, I assume that instances of this description language we're
talking about, would be something that service developers would publish,
right?

 [1] http://www.josephson.org/projects/pyamazon/

Mark.
--