Re: Code generation or forms?

On Jun 4, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Marc Hadley wrote:

> The code I'd typically generate would just wrap an existing HTTP
> library and provide some application-specific value add on top of
> the existing library.

Marc,

can you be more specific (with an example)? The above sounds like
adding application specific semantics to the interface (that way
breaking its uniformity).

Or am I missing something here?

Jan

> I don't really forsee much need to generate the entire HTTP stack
> for each web app, that's what libraries are for.
>
> Marc.
>

>> That's not to say I'm against supporting code generation entirely,
>> only
>> that I think each proposed feature will need to be examined
>> closely from
>> this POV.
>>
>> If I had my way though, we'd be starting out from the assumption that
>> all information in the language is for runtime consumption.  In
>> fact, I
>> wonder why that isn't the default position of this group, since
>> the Web
>> currently works just fine in this manner, and I know from experience
>> that you don't need a description language(*) to develop very large
>> (international scale) machine-to-machine solutions.
>>
>>  (*) you do need a forms language though
>>
>> Mark.
>> --
>> Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.          http://
>> www.markbaker.ca
>> Coactus; Web-inspired integration strategies   http://www.coactus.com
>>

> ---
> Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
> Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.

Jan Algermissen, Consultant & Programmer
http://jalgermissen.com
Tugboat Consulting, 'Applying Web technology to enterprise IT'
http://www.tugboat.de