Re: Planning to send the Blink Intent to Implement soon

On August 22, 2014 at 4:18:35 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin (jyasskin@google.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So that we can give people a platform to experiment on as soon as possible,
> I'm planning to send an Intent to Implement email for the current spec
> draft to blink-dev in the next several days. I have a draft at
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fIZOaP9aa2-cFmWiAKFnuveCzLL-NXgE2pnhvkpY5Lw/edit?usp=sharing
> .
>
> I want to be especially clear that an Intent to Implement, as opposed to
> Ship, is not an attempt to freeze the API. We want to get feedback so that
> we know how to change the API. Nonetheless, if you think this is premature,
> please speak up and let us know what you think we should do before sending
> this Intent email.

Before you do that, I would highly encourage you to do at least one round of review through the WHATWG. The API is likely to get quite an ass-kicking design wise, but whatever comes out the other end of that will likely be much better.

I'm also still a bit worried about scope - but we can keep working on reducing that down a bit.

> I know we've talked about writing a wrapper around the chrome.bluetooth API
> as a faster way to play with and evolve the API. We're still going to do
> that, but I'd like to lay the groundwork for getting it into Blink behind a
> flag, since flipping a flag and then using simple HTML pages is an easier
> way to experiment than writing a Chrome App.

That sounds good.

I don't have enough cycles to get into prototyping this quarter, but I was going to prototype the API using Swift + a WebView on iOS and MacOS. I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in collaborating on that?

> Marcos, I'm planning to list Firefox as "public support". Please let me
> know if that's wrong, or if you'd rather I use a different citation link
> from the one in http://www.chromestatus.com/features/5264933985976320.

That's fine. Otherwise, you can point to this email.

Mozilla's DOM team is supportive of this effort! BlueTooth <3 the Web :D