Bullet chatting questions (was RE: Bullet chatting interchange format was: W3C M&E IG conference call: 7th January 2020)

Hi,

I'd like to add some further questions, regarding the details of the Bullet Chatting use case:

# Rendering behaviour

Looking at some examples on bilibili, I see the following behaviour for an on-demand video:

- Pausing the video also pauses the comment overlay
- Seeking back in the video removes all comments, and the comments then re-appear as the video starts to play again

Are you looking to standardise the rendering behaviour, such as this, or leave it to the web application to decide?

I recall discussion at TPAC where it was said that the rendering should be as if the comments were part of the video, which implies that the comments would always maintain their position based on the media timeline. If I pause the video then scrub backwards or forwards, I would also see the comments move in sync. Am I remembering correctly?

# Interchange format

Regarding the need for a standardised interchange format, would it help to look at some of the data formats currently in use?

# Live streams

In a typical bullet chatting implementation for live streams, are comments distributed to clients in real time, e.g., over a WebSocket connection, and displayed immediately when received, without being synchronized to the media timeline?

As each client may be at a different playback position on the media timeline, is any timing information used to ensure the comments are relevant to each viewer? For example, what happens if I'm watching the live stream but 5 minutes behind the most recent playback position?

# Accesibility

Accessibility is always an important consideration for any W3C specification work. Have you considered how to make the Bullet Chat comments accessible? This would be an issue with canvas based rendering, for example.

Thanks,

Chris