Re: [media-and-entertainment] Frame accurate seeking of HTML5 MediaElement

From: Nigel Megitt via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 14:43:51 +0000
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org

@Snarkdoof is it really busy with more important stuff? Really?

> 2: Put the "sequencer" logic in JS and trigger events

Browsers only give a single thread for event handling and JS, right? So adding _more code_ to run in that thread doesn't really help address contention issues.

> cuechange also has a lot of other annoying issues, like not trigging when as skip event occurs

The spec is explicit that it is supposed to trigger in this circumstance. Is this a spec vs implementation-in-the-real-world issue?

I have the sense that we haven't got good data about how busy current CPUs are handling events during media playback in a browser, with subtitles alongside. The strongest *requirements statement* we can make is that we do want to achieve adequate synchronisation (whatever "adequate" is defined as) with minimal additional resource usage.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by nigelmegitt
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/media-and-entertainment/issues/4#issuecomment-398078643 using your GitHub account