Re: [media-and-entertainment] Frame accurate seeking of HTML5 MediaElement

From: Kevin Marks via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 09:46:47 +0000
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
This is the difficulty when the subtitles are outside the composition engine, and this is where losing QT's multi-dataref abstraction for media hurts. Text tracks did make it into mp4, but I don't think the ability to edit them dynamically did.
@nigelmegitt for your decimation use case, having the subtitles on the timescale of the highest framerate video makes sense.

The baseline assumption that captions and subtitles should obscure the video is also odd to me - it's a hangover from analogue displays and title-safe ares with overscan. With the abundance of pixels we have now, rendering the captions or subtitles in a separate screenspace that doesn't obscure the action seems hugely preferable, and would mitigate the composition issues.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by kevinmarks-b
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/media-and-entertainment/issues/4#issuecomment-397571047 using your GitHub account