Re: [Cloud Browser] added categorized use cases for communication

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback, this is very useful! I am quite familiar with the Web Accessibility Initiative ( https://www.w3.org/WAI/ ). You raise some fundamental questions. Just as a reference for those who are less familiar with the technology behind accessibility, here are the traditional actors:

operating system: provide accessibility api (proprietary)
assistive technology: uses this api to translate the output to something meaningful. e.g. braille, zooming in to a particular section and input such-as gestures to key strokes
user agent: connect to the api (like translating the semantics from the application and UA configurations such-as specified in UAAG  https://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10 )
application: is authored (in case of web standards) using WCAG ( https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ ) and ARIA ( https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/aria.php )

The cloud browser is less strict in who the actors are .We should need to identify this more in depth in the cloud browser architecture ( https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Main_Page/Cloud_Browser_TF/Architecture ). To me the OS is not defined in a cloud environment and therefore it is less obvious how the assistive technology could connect to it (UAAG 1.0 guidelines 6 and 7 are related). UAAG defines the User agent as follow:

“Any software that retrieves and renders Web content for users”

In the cloud browser - especially in double stream approach - this would be both the cloud browser as-well as the runtime environment (because the video play-out could be locally). To make a cloud browser accessible there are a couple of solutions:

1. Let the assistive technology connect to the rte which delegate all the information from the cloud browser to it.
2. Let the assistive technology directly connect to the cloud environment which (delegate the information to the cloud browser) through another device such as a smartphone
3. Build in (assistive) technology to make the application accessible

Probably a mix of those solutions should fill the gap. The first solution is close to the traditional environment but has some limitations. As far as i know there is no stb who has implement an accessibility api ( https://www.w3.org/TR/html-aapi/ ) though there are strong regulations regarding accessibility on so-called cpe ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer-premises_equipment ). Most of them implemented a proprietary way to comply with those regulations. In addition most assistive technology are attached to a pc or smart device and make less sense to connect to the cpe directly. Therefore solution two could be an option but i am not sure if this TF should focus on that part (in essence it is on the same level as assistive technology to OS and visa versa). This is also true for the third option where the cloud environment should add those functionality.

That said we should make sure that the technology we are defining could be accessible.  A simplistic view would be to define assistive technology as a “service" explained in ( https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Main_Page/Cloud_Browser_TF/UseCases/communication ) and add “specific” use cases so that we have a clear picture what it means to make a cloud browser, accessible.

John, it would be very helpful if you could help with those use cases.

Thanks,

Colin