W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-and-tv@w3.org > July 2015

[GGIE] Minutes for July 29th meeting

From: Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:10:21 +0900
Message-ID: <55BB1F5D.3080101@w3.org>
To: "public-web-and-tv@w3.org" <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
Hello all,

Here are the minutes from the GGIE call on July 29th:
http://www.w3.org/2015/07/29-webtv-minutes.html

and pasted in full below. Thanks to Bill for running the show.

Note that the next call will be in THREE weeks (not the usual two) on
Wednesday August 19th from 11:00 am
Eastern Time (US). See here for the Webex call details:
https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Main_Page#Teleconferences_.2F_Meetings

With regards,
Daniel

==========
                      Web and TV IG: GGIE meeting

29 Jul 2015

Attendees

   Present
          Bill Rose, Nilo Mitra, Dale Rochon, Paul Higgs, Leslie
          Daigle, Giri Mandyam, Mark Vickers, Daniel Davis

   Regrets
          Glenn Deen

   Chair
          Bill

   Scribe
          Bill

Contents

     * [2]Call admin
     * [3]Use Case: Streaming-UC-5 Streamed Content Ad Insertion
       Interstitial Ads
     * [4]Use Case: Content Identification UC-1 User Device
       Retrieval of Content Address Using EPG/Title
     * [5]Next meeting
     __________________________________________________________

Call admin

   <Bill_Rose> Review/adoption of 7/15 minutes- Adopted without
   change.

   <Bill_Rose> Agenda Bash – No change to the agenda

Use Case: Streaming-UC-5 Streamed Content Ad Insertion Interstitial
Ads

   [6]https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/GGIE_TF/UseCases/Streamin
   g#Streaming-UC-5_Streamed_Content_Ad_Insertion_Interstitial_Ads

      [6]
https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/GGIE_TF/UseCases/Streaming#Streaming-UC-5_Streamed_Content_Ad_Insertion_Interstitial_Ads

   <gmandyam> ATSC meeting some broadcasters voiced concern with
   the potential for rogue apps to replace ads with alternative,
   unauthorized media. There are many ways to remedy this. This
   Use Case should highlight the issue and request W3C advice.

   Action Item: Bill Rose: Add note to Streaming UC-5 highlighting
   the issue and requesting W3C guidance/advice, need to discuss
   during review and gap analysis.

   <Nilo Mitra> Please clarify what is meant by inserting rogue
   media?

   <gmandyam> For example in DASH you can indicate to a DASH
   client/player where insertion opportunities exist. ATSC asked
   what app creates this? If a rogue app exists it might insert
   other media at that point.

   <Nilo Mitra> A manifest for the content and ad is received. The
   app then directs to another site for the interstitial period
   insertion?

   <gmandyam> Yes

   <ddavis> With regard to getting a W3C opinion, it is not for me
   to say. It is open as to how this could be handled. Could be
   left to broadcasters to prevent it. Existing standards might be
   used to authenticate using e.g. hash, etc., to guarantee
   insertion content is correct.

   <gmandyam> When we address this UC we should discuss potential
   ways to prevent this even if we don’t provide a solution. Could
   be handled by proper business practices but a response from W3C
   to ATSC would be good.

   <Dale Rochon> A rogue app could also attribute an ad to an
   actor other than the provider so the revenue would go to the
   wrong organization.

   <ddavis> there are a number of related issues that should be
   explored across multiple groups and might be best addressed by
   a liaison: WebEx Security WG – looking at similar issues so
   might have input. Already have a liaison with ATSC.

   <ddavis> [7]http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison

      [7] http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison

   <ddavis> there is related work in W3C on Subsource Integrity:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/SRI/

   <Dale Rochon> what about IAB?

   <Nilo Mitra> seems like IAB would be the right place to look
   for a solution to the issue of ad placement, attribution,
   transactional metadata, etc.

   <Dale Rochon> IAB Digital Video WG is the right IAB group for
   us to bring this issue to. Should come from W3C. Not sure if
   SMPTE would be a target group. Working on content ID binding
   but not necessarily how it would be used in this context.

   <Dale Rochon> Issues: where to insert ad; inserting correct ad;
   correct attribution of ad played; was ad played all the way
   through; metadata associated for attribution, insertion,
   measurement, authentication, targeting, etc.

   <Bill_Rose> read Streaming UC-5 to the group.

   <Dale Rochon> don’t know if ad decision process needs to be
   identified in the UC. There is a process but not sure if we
   need to define the process. There is also a reporting process
   generating what is happening and reporting it downstream.

   <ddavis> (for Mark Vickers who was muted): “Another thing that
   would help this problem of rogue web apps interfering with the
   broadcast video is a way to securely identify the source of
   applications delivered in-band with the video. Web security,
   like CORS, is based on websites as sources, not in-band data
   like in TV. This way, the web app that arrives with the TV
   signal, presumably from the video producers, can be given
   priority over other website origins.”

   <ddavis> For reference, ad-insertion use cases created by the
   HTML/Media Task Force:
   [8]https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Media_Task_Force/MSE_Ad_Inserti
   on_Use_Cases

      [8]
https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Media_Task_Force/MSE_Ad_Insertion_Use_Cases

   <Dale Rochon> is there a way for this process to delegate the
   authority? Can the owner authorize another party to do the
   insertion? A passing of the token?

   <Bill_Rose> National broadcaster may need to pass token to
   local broadcast for ad insertion.

   <Dale Rochon> Other scenarios for token passing. Market level
   insertion; sub-DMA insertion; individual device insertion.

   <Nilo Mitra> UC-4 mentions some of these scenarios, not
   necessarily for ads. New UCs for ad insertion could expand
   UC-4.

   <ddavis>
   [9]https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/GGIE_TF/UseCases/Streamin
   g#Streaming-UC-4_Manipulating_streamed_content

      [9]
https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/GGIE_TF/UseCases/Streaming#Streaming-UC-4_Manipulating_streamed_content

   <Dale Rochon> can be alternative content, not just ads. E.g.
   Infomercials

   Action Item: Dale R and Nilo M to work on submitting new
   UCs/extend UC-5 to explore some of the issues raised above.
   E.g. Decision process, reporting process, token passing, etc.

Use Case: Content Identification UC-1 User Device Retrieval of
Content Address Using EPG/Title

   [10]https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/GGIE_TF/UseCases/Content
   _Identification#Content_Identification_UC-1_User_Device_Retriev
   al_of_Content_Address.28es.29_Using_EPG.2FTitle

     [10]
https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/GGIE_TF/UseCases/Content_Identification#Content_Identification_UC-1_User_Device_Retrieval_of_Content_Address.28es.29_Using_EPG.2FTitle

   <Dale Rochon> working with 24TB Study Group for EIDR and Ad-ID
   . Others working in this area: CIMM.org; Ad-ID.org is a
   “daughter” of American Assoc of Advertising Agencies working on
   identifying ads. The ID exists. Working on problem of how to
   associate and ensure it survives distribution. Might want to
   establish early on the liaisons with the issuing orgs and work
   with existing ID authorities.

   <Bill_Rose> [walked through Content Identification UC-1]

   <ldaigle> this probably makes sense to router people but
   application people might be less open to each other. In reading
   through the use of the term DNS may be confusing. May want to
   replace the term DNS in the UC.

   Action Item: Leslie to follow up with Glenn on use of “DNS” in
   the Use Case.

Next meeting

   <Bill_Rose> The next call will be postponed by 1 week to August
   19, 11:00 PM ET. A notice will be provided for the call
   following the 19th, either the week of August 26th or September
   2nd.

   <Bill_Rose> Meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

  Action Items created during this call

     * Bill Rose: Add note to Streaming UC-5 highlighting the
       issue and requesting W3C guidance/advice, need to discuss
       during review and gap analysis.
     * Dale R and Nilo M to work on submitting new UCs/extend UC-5
       to explore some of the issues raised above. E.g. Decision
       process, reporting process, token passing, etc.
     * Leslie to follow up with Glenn on use of “DNS” in the Use
       Case.

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________
Received on Friday, 31 July 2015 07:10:58 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 31 July 2015 07:10:59 UTC