From: Andrew Zamler-Carhart (azamlerc) [mailto:azamlerc@cisco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:57 PM
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
Subject: Re: [Minutes] GGIE (Glass-to-glass internet ecosystem) Task Force meeting, 22nd April 2015

Hi folks,

Here are a few questions that came to mind during the call.

Basic premise: video content should be uniquely tagged at the time that it is created.

Should the tag be associated with the user/operator, the camera/device, the studio, and/or the production?

How would these entities (user, device, studio, production) be identified?

Does a tag need to be unique to the user, device, or studio? Or does it need to be globally unique? (I would say the latter.)

Who can get the information about each video? Can anyone lookup a tag to find the name of the creator? Or would it be the responsibility of the user to assert their ownership of tagged content? Should the user have control over this?

Does the device need to make a request to a central authority in order to make a tag? Or can it autonomously create a UUID that is unique in time and space, even when the device does not have internet access, and perhaps register it later?

What are the important differences between consumers who post home videos to YouTube and Hollywood movie studios? Are we targeting both? Do we treat them the same? Prosumer productions are blurring the boundaries, with amateurs using pro hardware and professionals using iPhones.

What is the relationship between clips that are tagged during the recording process and finished videos that are prepared for distribution?

Photos are discrete but video is continuous. Would several clips made in quick succession be considered the same content? If a clip is cut in half, are the two clips considered different?

Multiple videos can be combined in many ways as part of the editing process. Will derivative works contain all the information from component clips? Example 1: I download two videos from YouTube and combine them with a cross-fade to make a new video. The creators of the first two videos should be able to assert ownership of their content. Example 2: My studio makes a movie composed of thousands of takes. Viewers should probably not be able to identify the name of the cameraman who shot each take.

How resilient to tampering or accidental removal does the tagging need to be? Example 1: If the tag is stored as part of the file’s metadata, it can be useful for those who want to identify the video. Can it survive transcoding by various apps? Example 2: If the creator wants to tag a video in such a way that the tag can not be easily removed, can it survive intentional efforts to remove it?

Resolving some of these questions (such as watermarking algorithms) may be out of scope for GGIE, but we may still identify a need for some of these issues to be solved by other parties.

Cheers,
Andrew