W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-and-tv@w3.org > April 2014

[minutes] Web & TV IG call, 30 April 2014

From: Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 23:13:55 +0900
Message-ID: <53610523.80005@w3.org>
To: "public-web-and-tv@w3.org" <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
Hello all,

Below are the minutes from the earlier call, also available online:
http://www.w3.org/2014/04/30-webtv-minutes.html

If you were present but are not listed, please let me know.

With regards,
Daniel

----------


                         Web and TV IG meeting

30 Apr 2014

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Agenda_and_Minutes/Agenda_Telco_30th_April_2014

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/04/30-webtv-irc

Attendees

   Present
          aldafu, kaz, skim13, pal_giuseppep, ddavis, gmandyam,
          bin, paul, erik, yosuke, whyun, cyrilra, So_Vang,
          Mark_Sadecki, kawada

   Regrets
          JC Verdie

   Chair
          Giuseppe

   Scribe
          Daniel

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Use case submission
         2. [6]ATSC liaison letter
         3. [7]Feedback for DAP WG
         4. [8]Next is follow-up to testing
         5. [9]Media accessibility
         6. [10]Performance measurement
         7. [11]Any other business
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <jcverdie> regrets+ JC Verdie

   <giuseppe>
   [13]https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Agenda_and_Minutes/Agend
   a_Telco_30th_April_2014

     [13]
https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Agenda_and_Minutes/Agenda_Telco_30th_April_2014

   <scribe> Scribe: Daniel

   <scribe> scribenick: ddavis

Use case submission

   Bin: We have started second iteration of the use cases and
   requirements.
   ... The deadline is the end of May for use cases.
   ... At the end of June the use cases will be finalised. The end
   of May is for use case submission.
   ... The end of September is the deadline for the requirements
   and gap analysis.
   ... This allows for some slippage before the end of the year.

   Giuseppe: Please could you send a reminder of this schedule to
   the list?

   Bin: Sure

   <scribe> ACTION: Bin to send a reminder of the schedule and
   process for use cases/requirements and gap analysis [recorded
   in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2014/04/30-webtv-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-192 - Send a reminder of the schedule
   and process for use cases/requirements and gap analysis [on Bin
   Hu - due 2014-05-07].

   Bin: Also, we have a TV Control CG established with
   representatives from about 12 organisations.
   ... Kaz and Daniel are helping with logistics
   ... We also have contributions of existing API proposals from
   other companies and organisations.

   Giuseppe: As a reminder to newcomers, Community Groups are
   groups that are set up to discuss specifications but cannot
   create standards - Working Groups do that.
   ... You don't have to be a member of W3C to join Community
   Groups
   ... The TV IG will keep in touch with relevant Community Groups
   to track progress
   ... Community Groups can create specifications but they are not
   endorsed by W3C. If they wish, they can send specifications to
   a W3C working group to put it on a path to standardization.

ATSC liaison letter

   Giuseppe: Mark Vickers is not on the call so we'll skip this.
   ... I'll speak to him separately about drafting a response.

Feedback for DAP WG

   Giuseppe: The DAP WG sent a request to us asking about feedback
   for the Network Service Discovery API
   ... There has been some discussion on this and I've sent some
   liaison letters. I haven't received responses yet but if I get
   any I'll forward them to the DAP WG.

   <giuseppe>
   [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2014A
   pr/0025.html

     [15]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2014Apr/0025.html

   gmandyam: Regarding the ATSC liaison, we'd like to know roughly
   when the Tuner (TV Control) CG expects to complete its work,
   because that could effect ATSC 3.0

   Giuseppe: I'll work with you and Mark to discuss this.

Next is follow-up to testing

   Giuseppe: On the last call we discussed testing and what
   material is available for W3C testing.
   ... This discussion is now happening and some questions from
   the last discussion have been addressed.
   ... The testing group would be able to help with guidance on
   how to use W3C tests and testing material.
   ... We could start with a conference call and see if there's a
   need for a face-to-face meeting.

   So Vang: That seems reasonable to me.

   Kaz: Who are we talking with from the testing activity?

   Giuseppe: Robin and Tobie should be on the call to help answer
   questions.

   Kaz: Mike Smith is also working on HTML stuff

   Giuseppe: You (Kaz) and Daniel should also be involved. We
   should discuss this then reach out to the testing group to
   arrange the call.
   ... If anybody in this call or on the TV IG mailing list is
   interested, please get in touch. Don't be afraid!

Media accessibility

   Kaz: There was some discussion on accessibility at the Munich
   TV workshop.
   ... This is in addition to just captioning
   ... Daniel and I spoke to W3C staff from the accessibility
   activity
   ... They agreed we should work on more that just captioning for
   accessibility
   ... We should bring our ideas and use cases to the media
   accessibility task force.
   ... They can review them and can offer guidance to us. They
   also have media accessibility guidelines.

   ddavis: Mark from the accessibility activity has just joined
   us.

   MarkS: We're excited to help any way we can.
   ... The media accessibility sub-group can make sure
   accessibility is addressed.

   Giuseppe: The TV IG is not a Working Group so we can't create
   standards. We're also not working on anything specific right
   now.
   ... But it's good to have this channel open and as soon as we
   start discussing use cases that are relevant we'll ask you to
   be involved in the discussion.
   ... We are also discussing non-relevant things, though, such as
   testing.

   MarkS: I was wondering if it's useful to go through the first
   iteration of use cases. We could provide feedback that could be
   useful when thinking about the second iteration.

   Giuseppe: The first iteration resulted in a TV Control
   Community Group so maybe it's better to be involved in that CG.
   ... The other use cases didn't really have any follow-up so
   maybe it's not that useful to look into that.

   MarkS: OK, the TV Control CG sounds like a good place to start.

   Giuseppe: I'll let you know where to start.

   <scribe> ACTION: Giuseppe to send details of TV Control CG to
   Mark Sadecki [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2014/04/30-webtv-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-193 - Send details of tv control cg
   to mark sadecki [on Giuseppe Pascale - due 2014-05-07].

   Zak: We'll keep in touch with Mark as well

   Giuseppe: Also if Mark thinks there are things that are missing
   in our new use cases then it would be good to hear that.

   <MarkS> [17]Media Accessibility User Requirements

     [17] http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/

   MarkS: Also, we have media accessibility guidelines. They were
   started a few years ago but are now mature and very close to
   completion. It would be good for the group to review these.

   Yosuke: At the workshop, David Singer brought up this topic. He
   told us that the TV industry is pretty good at
   subtitles/captions thanks to regulations.
   ... But it's time for us to think about other types of
   accessibility.
   ... At the workshop we didn't have time to discuss this further
   so it would be good to include David in this discussion.
   ... There are many regional regulations so it's important to
   consider where to start with this.

   Giuseppe: Yes, I'd encourage anybody to submit ideas and
   contributions.

   <yosuke>
   [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2014A
   pr/0079.html

     [18]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2014Apr/0079.html

Performance measurement

   Yosuke: I just sent a mail to the public list.
   ... This was proposed by Japanese TV broadcasters.
   ... The main point is that lessons learned by them is that
   performance needs to be improved.
   ... This is hurdle, blocking expansion of TV apps.
   ... I put a list of potential deliverables.
   ... We can have a list of benchmarking software used by the
   industry.
   ... We could then make a proposal for specific APIs if
   necessary.
   ... If we have other interested parties then this Interest
   Group is the best place to discuss this.
   ... If not, then the Web Performance Working Group might be
   better.
   ... So does anybody on this call have any questions?
   ... After this call I'll send some ideas and how to proceed
   with this topic within W3C.
   ... Then we can start some actual work in two weeks or so.
   ... Any questions?

   Giuseppe: If the broadcasters you mentioned could put together
   the results of their work then that can indicate what APIs
   might be missing.

   Yosuke: You mean start something in the IG?

   Giuseppe: Yes, at least what the issues are or things that are
   missing.

   Kaz: Yosuke, do you want to create a specific task force for
   this?

   Yosuke: No, we don't need to create any more task forces.
   ... My question is whether to start this discussion in the IG
   or in the Web Performance WG.

   Giuseppe: As this was brought up at the TV workshop then I
   think the TV IG is best.
   ... Any information you have collected from Japanese
   broadcasters could be shared in this IG, for example on the
   wiki.

   Yosuke: So we'll start with collecting some information in this
   Interest Group and then after that we can expand somewhere else
   if necessary.

   Kaz: Bin has already started to collect the second iteration
   use cases. You would also like to start discussion on the
   performance topic.
   ... In that case, would it be better to have two separate phone
   calls?

   Giuseppe: I don't think there's enough work to discuss this
   separately. Let's keep everything here.

   Yosuke: I don't want to use a conference call at the early
   stage - just wiki and mailing list because of the timezone
   differences.
   ... So we don't need to set up a separate conference call for
   this (for now).
   ... I can speak with other stakeholders during these IG calls
   if necessary, to make them aware of what we're doing.

   Kaz: As long as we work together there's no problem.

   Giuseppe: Any other comments?

   gmandyam: The W3C normally doesn't do minimum performance specs
   or guidelines. I'm assuming there won't be minimum performance
   proposals resulting from this.
   ... Is that correct?

   Yosuke: Correct. We're talking about how to measure actual
   performance of existing environments - not how to impose
   minimum performance standards.
   ... But measuring application performance is really important.
   We'd like to share best practises.
   ... If we need new APIs for user agents then we'll ask the Web
   Performance WG to define such APIs.

   Giuseppe: There's already a WG working on it but we can say if
   we think something is missing.

Any other business

   Giuseppe: Is there anything else to discuss?

   Pierre: How is this group related to community groups? Is there
   a formal relationship?

   Giuseppe: There isn't an official relationship.
   ... For the media in-band tracks CG it was spontaneous.
   ... The TV Control CG was created from discussion in this group
   so we've asked them to keep in touch and report on their
   progress.
   ... The relationship is just to let us know what's happening in
   related community groups.
   ... Technical work has to happen in CGs or WGs. The only thing
   we can ask is for community groups to give us an update.
   Actually, we should do this for the Timed Text CG.
   ... If you'd like closer communication then it's best to join
   the CGs.
   ... The next call will be in 2 weeks. I'll send a reminder in
   advance. Let me know if you'd like a calendar invite.
   ... Speak to you in two weeks - meeting adjourned.

   <giuseppe> thanks daniel for scribing and sorry for picking you
   ;)

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Bin to send a reminder of the schedule and
   process for use cases/requirements and gap analysis [recorded
   in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2014/04/30-webtv-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Giuseppe to send details of TV Control CG to Mark
   Sadecki [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2014/04/30-webtv-minutes.html#action02]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________
Received on Wednesday, 30 April 2014 14:15:14 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:44:13 UTC