Re: [tt] minutes - 21 May 2013

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:16:13 +1000
To: Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
Cc: "ashimura@w3.org" <ashimura@w3.org>, "public-web-and-tv@w3.org" <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux
<pal@sandflow.com> wrote:
> Hi Silvia,
>
> Thanks for the input. Will you be able to join us on our scheduled
> Thursday call?

I am in Australia and typically can't attend normal W3C meetings,
because they happen in the middle of the night.

>> My understanding is the exact opposite: since TTML only focuses on
>> captions, but WebVTT on captions, descriptions, metadata, and
>> chapters, WebVTT has a broader applicability than TTML.
>
> Based on Glenn's input, has the understanding substantially changed?
> In any event, any chance the technical underpinnings of that
> understanding can be documented [ed.: I, for one, have yet to see
> technical evidence that WebVTT has broader applicability that TTML]?

Here are some examples of WebVTT use for non-captions, in case you are
interested:

For audio descriptions:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/html5-audio-description-v/jafenodgdcelmajjnbcchlfjomlkaifp?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon
or https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/html5-audio-description-v/jafenodgdcelmajjnbcchlfjomlkaifp?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon
or

For chapters, thumbnails and scripting:
http://demo.longtailvideo.com/track/ or
http://demo.longtailvideo.com/track_demos/chapters.html

It's probably possible to do these with TTML, too, at least from what
Glenn seems to think.

>> They are likely orthogonal in some features, which cannot be mapped
>> to each other, but can map for others.
>
> Similarly, do you have concrete examples? The latter will be needed to
> make technical progress in my mind.

I don't, because it takes a bit of investigation. But I see that Glenn
has the same hunch.

Regards,
Silvia.