Re: [tt] minutes - 21 May 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com
> [...]

> >    ... if there can't be a mapping, we would lose information
> >
> >    <kaz> scribenick: Mark_Vickers
> >
> >    glenn: Do you think it's realistic that one community will give
> >    up one sntax?
> >
> >    olivier: I don't think that it's realistic for there to be one
> >    spec given current usage.
> >
> >    mark_vickers: I agree it's unlikely to be one spec, but I think
> >    it's worth stating that it's an ideal.
> >
> >    glenn: I don't agree with a single spec notion because I think
> >    it's impractical and causes more trouble.
> >    ... I agree it's important to serve the community for captions,
> >    both hearing and hearing-impaired.
> >
> >    Pierre: What about the goal of maximizing semantic
> >    compatibility?
> >
> >    glenn: To some degree. The goals of TTML were broader, for
> >    example in the use of SMIL. I wouldn't expect WebVTT to adopt
> >    that.
>
> Right. You're still able to put SMIL and whatever else into WebVTT
> cues, but they won't be interpreted by a browser natively.
>

> >    Pierre: But to the amount that one is a semantic superset of
> >    the other>
> >
> >    mark_vickers: what about when semantics cannot be mapped?
> >
> >    glenn: browsers need to support both formats
> >    ... The superset format can be mapped, but some information
> >    will be lost.
> >
> >    <pal_> [12]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Timed_Text_Efforts
> >
> >      [12] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Timed_Text_Efforts
> >
> >    pierre: Would it be worth sharing the TF list of adoption of
> >    TTML & WebVTT to show adoption of both?
> >    ... Can we come up with a requirement that all are happy?
> >
> >    glenn: it would be useful to identify the caption communities
> >
> >    olivier: the audio group has a hierarchy of developer,
> >    implementor, spec maker. In the case of timed text: user,
> >    author, implementor, spec maker
> >
> >    glenn: I'd order user, author first, but whether implementor or
> >    spec maker is first is unclear
> >
> >    olivier: an example is if something is tedious to specify, but
> >    important for implementors, you need to do the spec
> >
> >    glenn: I see the order as user, {author, implementor, spec
> >    maker} with the latter an unoredered list
> >
> >    pierre: I think author is a priority over the latter two
> >
> >    glenn: How about user, author, {`implementor, spec maker}?
> >
> >    <olivier> "ensure maximal interop"?
> >
> >    pierre: Some progress on community. How do we get to agreement
> >    on the points on mapping?
> >
> >    olivier: I like maximize semantic mapping
> >    ... what really worries me is that if the two evolve together,
> >    there will be mapping from one to the other, but if there's not
> >    a clear decision of which is a superset, we're in trouble
> >
> >    glenn: I like "Ensure maximal semantic interop"
> >    ... right now I beliebe WebVTT is a subset of TTML, as far as
> >    I'm aware.
>
> My understanding is the exact opposite: since TTML only focuses on
> captions, but WebVTT on captions, descriptions, metadata, and
> chapters, WebVTT has a broader applicability than TTML.

I'm afraid your understanding is incomplete. TTML is designed to support
all kinds of text with timing semantics. Captions and subtitles are just
one such example. It is equally capable of interchanging other applications
use of timed text, including descriptions, metadata, and chapters.

I just don't understand why folks in the VTT community spend so much time
making false statements about TTML. False statements like (1) TTML requires
XSL-FO, (2) TTML has narrower applicability than VTT, (3) TTML is complex
to implement, or (4) TTML would cause browser bloat. None of these claims
are true and I would caution those who think otherwise to prove their
claims if they intend to continue making them.

> >    ... for example TTML ability to specifiy feature priority
>
> Can you explain what "feature priority" means?
>

> >    ... if WebVTT is kept as a subset of TTML, that would maximize
> >    interop
>
> They are likely orthogonal in some features, which cannot be mapped to
> each other, but can map for others.

It would be useful to understand better what features are orthogonal and
what use cases drive this orthogonality. Could you provide a list?