Re: [css-ui] Agenda request: Revive directional focus navigation properties

I was also surprised that these properties were dropped and can't seem
to figure out why from reading the minutes[1] (other than references to
them being broken). Is there a list of the nav-index problems and
nav-left/right/up/down problems publicly available?

While at Opera I explained their benefits for TV development in an
article and demo[2] a couple of years ago and encouraged their use when
doing presentations and workshops on Web and TV. Their simplicity is not
only a boon for designers but also for performance on lower-powered
devices (most TVs/STBs) where CSS is preferable to JavaScript workarounds.

In terms of implementations, they are supported in Opera's TV browser
(as well as TV Store) so shipments with major manufacturers are
worldwide rather than just Europe. TV manufacturers tend to keep
statistics confidential but in terms of browser installations supporting
nav-*, it's realistic to count in the millions.

However, because these properties are intended for d-pad users, it's
true to say that support is minimal among major desktop and mobile
browsers, in which case I'd echo Giuseppe's question about what
constitutes a valid implementation, for future reference.

It's quite possible that I've overlooked or misunderstood something so
apologies if that's the case.

Daniel

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Apr/0428.html
[2]