Re: Dropping nav-* properties?

On Jun 17, 2013, at 1:24 AM, Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 23:08:40 +0200, Vickers, Mark <Mark_Vickers@cable.comcast.com> wrote:
>
>> Giuseppe,
>>
>> We do, of course, absolutely require up, down, left right keys in TV and set-top box Web applications to support TV remotes. Regarding these specific CSS APIs:
>>
>> - What are the benefits to the nav-* properties?
>> - What do the nav-* properties bring that cannot be done in other ways (HTML, JavaScript, DOM Event APIs, etc.)?
>>

> many things can be done in multiple ways, this doesn't mean we should drop all but one of them.

I agree. I should have said "are beneficial versus other ways" rather than "cannot be done in other ways".

> Regardless of when they are useful compared to other techniques, if nav-up/down/left/right are not broken why removing them, considering they haven't been dropped but just moved to CSS level 4?

I agree. As has been pointed out, this brings up issues of what platforms are considered valid parts of the Web platform and which implementations are considered valid implementations.

> Note also that my mail was a request for more details about the reason of them being dropped, as I couldn't find any specific info on it (a part from nav-index). Maybe the group has a very good reason to move them and I could agree with it, it's just that I couldn't find it.

I also think we should get an answer why useful APIs were pulled from the release, particularly when the group rightly anticipated that our community would be impacted.