Re: [metadata] what are we aiming to fix?

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:39:25 +0100, Olivier Thereaux
<Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Many thanks to all of you who have added your name and some material to
> the metadata TF page on our wiki [1]. If you haven't checked that page
> in the past few weeks, a visit could be worthwhile.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Metadata
>
> This Metadata/Synchronisation task force is likely to produce use cases
> or requirements documents which will in turn influence future
> standardisation efforts, at the W3C or elsewhere. Before we dive into
> the creation of such documents however, I think it may be interesting to
> discuss our motivations in more details.
>
> In other words: what do you think is currently broken?
>
> Our goals seem to be fairly well known and have been documented in many
> ways, here at the W3C and elsewhere. Multi-screen scenarios. Rich
> applications. Are these scenarios out of our reach, and if so, why? What
> is lacking? What is needed? What is broken?
>
> Could TF participants chime in and develop their perspective on this
> question? Other IG participants are welcome to do so too, of course. I
> will concatenate and summarise your responses on the wiki.

My understanding is that what is missing, and what we should explore, is
not yet another metadata specification (there are probably already enough)
but how such metadata would be exposed to a web application (in a
"off-the-shelf" as well as in an "embedded" browser [1]).

In other words I would see us proceeding as follows:
- list the most relevant use cases when it comes to metadata and TV
services
- list the most relevant metadata specifications used to cover the
documented use cases
- describe how such metadata could be exposed to a web application using
existing interfaces (and if those are not enough, describe how they could
be extended)

One example I had in mind is parental rating: say I'm writing an html5
based TV service, how do I expose the parental rating information, so that
the browser can take appropriate measures based on the parental settings?
This is both applicable at an application level and at a single video
level. Once again there are pleanty of ways of doing this, so this is
probably just a matter of agreeing on one so that can be used by all app
developer and understood by all devices.

Would be interesting to hear from people that actually write services
nowadays (maybe even using other technologies) what they believe is
missing and what they would like to see standardized (and also what they
believe doesn't need standardization)

[1] by "off-the-shelf" I mean a traditional browser while by "embedded" I
mean a browser based environment that is used in some ecosystems (e.g.
HbbTV)

> Thank you,
> Olivier
>
> --
> Olivier Thereaux - BBC Internet Research and Future Services
>

> -----------------------------
> http://www.bbc.co.uk
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and
> may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless
> specifically stated.
> If you have received it in
> error, please delete it from your system.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the
> information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender
> immediately.
> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails
> sent or received.
> Further communication will signify your consent to
> this.

Product Manager TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software