Re: About KeyboardEvent.keylocation property for TV/STB

** adding the www-dom list **

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Vickers, Mark
<Mark_Vickers@cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> I think a good argument could be made to use DOM_KEY_LOCATION_MOBILE for keys from remote controls. For one thing, a traditional remote control device fits the definition:
>
>> DOM_KEY_LOCATION_MOBILE
>> The key activation originated on a mobile device, either on a physical keypad or a virtual keyboard.

Personally I wouldn't think about a remote control when reading this
text. To me this is clearly intended to indicate smartphones and
tablets, where the input may be virtual or physical but on the same
screen/device as the browser

Maybe people on www-dom can help us clarify this?

> Second, in current widespread practice, remote control functionality comes from both traditional dedicated remote control devices as well as apps running on phones and tablets. Since they are performing the same function, treating them the same makes sense.

I'm not convinced. I think there some variations that need to be
considered here: if I'm using a mobile phone to control my TV, but the
mobile phone is emulating a full keyboard, should location be used as
if I was using a physical keyboard? Same for those remote controls
that have a full keyboard in the back.

All in all, it seems to me that this "location" attribute should be
used to indicate the "layout" (keyboard, mobile, RC, Joystick) of the
input device rather than if it is a physical device or emulated

/g