Re: [tpac] draft minutes from the Web and TV IG f2f meeting at TPAC 2012 (was Re: Notes from today meeting)

Thanks for this - very useful!

I couldn't make it to TPAC, but here are some useful things that
people may not be aware of.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org> wrote:

> Synchronization of Web and TV content
>
>    [52]Sheau's slides
>
>      [52]
> http://www.w3.org/2012/10/29-webtv-slides/Hybrid-Media-Synchronization--W3C-TPAC-Oct-29-2012.pptx
>
>    sheau: shows slides
>    ... Web&TV Media Synchronization
>    ... multiple platform: broadcast, mobile, internet, etc.
>    ... hybridization of media
>    ... different component media travels over different
>    distribution technology
>    ... loosely coupled
>    ... synchronization between these components is needed
>    ... Use cases
>    ... single client, multiple client, multi-client dynamically
>    switch delivery technology
>    ... who initiates the switch?
>    ... any mechanism?
>    ... Under development
>    ... digital fingerprint as ACR (Automatic Content Recognition)

About Synchronization: have you see popcorn?
http://maker.mozillapopcorn.org/
They were even on TED recently:
http://blog.ted.com/2012/10/19/meet-popcorn-maker-beau-lotto/

Also, are you aware that there are already means to synchronize
separate media elements with each other through the @mediagroup
attribute. That should get you lipsync:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/media-elements.html#attr-media-mediagroup

> Accessibility/Subtitles/Captioning
>
>    olivier: languages for the Web
>    ... TTML is a W3C REC
>    ... a new WG has been created for a new version
>    ... a CG looking at WebVTT
>    ... this group could be quite key input on how to deal with
>    number of scenarios
>    ... industry has to say something
>
>    markV: we get content coming in
>    ... standardization using TTTML vs. WebVTT
>    ... is there any good semantic mapping
>
>    olivier: there is some work
>    ... at least provider-based
>
>    dsinger: think so
>
>    giuseppe: what can we do?
>    ... you're charing WebVTT, Dave?
>
>    dsinger: yes
>    ... useful if this IG could review the draft
>
>    s/draft/WebVTT draft/
>
>    <olivier> Silvia Pfeiffer has a blog post working on the
>    mapping

Not a blog post, but a proposed spec:

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/608toVTT/608toVTT.html

This is not for TTML - WebVTT comparison, but rather to explain how to
use CEA608/708 features in WebVTT.

>    markV: JavaScript API?
>
>    dsinger: TTML has a lot of features
>
>    <olivier> (I assume what David was mentioning is
>    [53]http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/wiki/608_to_WebVTT )
>
>      [53] http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/wiki/608_to_WebVTT

The above link is more up-to-date.

>    <dsinger> yes
>
>    giuseppe: Goals: Identify which profile of TTML people are
>    using and feed it into the Text Track WG
>
>    pierre: there are already large body of TTML users
>    ... on the other hand, WebVTT is getting energy
>
>    giuseppe: (add "follow the effort in mapping between the TTML
>    and WebVTT")
>
>    <olivier> s/708/608/ in Giuseppe's slides
>
>    giuseppe: check 608 to WebVTT mapping document from Sylvia
>    ... collect the different TTML/SMPTE-TT based specs used by the
>    industry into the TT group
>    ... Should we create a TF?: Yes
>
>    masahito: what about FCC?
>
>    pierre: SMPTE
>
>    markV: we have a governmental requirement
>
>    masahito: not Web in general
>    ... broadcast related issue
>    ... also related to Web accessibility?
>
>    pierre: TTML group?
>
>    markV: Text Track WG
>
>    pierre: WebVTT?
>
>    s/Text Track/Timed Text/
>
>    dsinger: Text Track CG

This can be found here:

http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/

>    giuseppe: (moved "Try to define..." right after "Collect...")
>
>    giuseppe: who should handle this?
>
>    pierre: will do
>
>    giuseppe: Chair: Pierre Lemieux

Best Regards,