Re: F2F Agenda: update

Re my proposed agenda topic for File* and Indexed DB use for offline
content storage: There is a proposal in Webapps to take the FileSystem API
[1] off REC track. But there is no alternate proposal or effort to develop
an explicit Gallery API (this was dropped from DAP earlier when the
FileSystem API was handed to Webapps, and gallery use cases expected to be
implemented on top of them, e.g. with metadata extensions etc). The
ability to manage and access large amounts of locally stored content
(local meaning on the device or in the local network) is key to enabling
offline use cases. IMO this is one of the top 3 gaps in the current Web
platform support for Web & TV (the other two are adaptive streaming and
content protection). We either need to ensure that the File*/FileSystem
APIs support these use cases, or that we have feasible support for
network-local storage management/access from Web apps. Network-local in
this case means something accessible via HTTP (even device-locally served)
or abstracted e.g. through a Gallery Intent [2] which allows the storage
of media as well as "picking" something to play. But for local storage
accessed directly through JavaScript APIs exposed by the Web
browser/runtime (the preferred capability), we need either the
earlier-envisioned functionality of the DAP FileSystem API, or Indexed DB
APIs and storage support that supports in essence a
high-performance/volume virtual filesystem managed by the browser.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/file-dir-sys.html

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-gallery-20120712/

Thanks, Bryan