From: Scott Wilson [mailto:scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:43 PM
To: Giuseppe Pascale
Cc: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
Subject: Re: [profile] A new TF for the TV Profile

On 19 Jan 2012, at 18:23, Giuseppe Pascale wrote:

> Hi all,
> given the interest in working on the TV profile as announced in [1], is probably good to start a new TF in charge of it.
>
> I'll work in the following days to create a wiki page for such new TF.
> If someone is willing to chair this new TF, please let me know.
> About phone calls, the idea was to start with bi-weekly calls, let me know if there are any objections to this.
>
> Finally, feedbacks on the profile document (that meanwhile got some more text) are welcome
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webtv/raw-file/tip/tvprofile/tv.html
>
> The document contains some open question you may want to share your opinion on.
> Other open question where contribution are welcome are:
>
> - which technologies are fundamental for TV deployments and should be included in the profile?

I think there needs to be a section on web application packaging and metadata referencing W3C Widgets: Packaging and Configuration [1]; an issue identified in several submissions to the Future of Offline Web Applications meeting was competing non-interoperable packaging formats affecting TV/STB web app deployment. Some vendors are already using similar packaging formats (e.g Samsung's smart TV profile); there is also work taking place in the Webinos[2] project on extending W3C Widgets for TV applications.

> - how do we address evaluation of performances?
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webtv/raw-file/tip/tvprofile/tv.html#performances
> - what kind of input methods should be considered?
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webtv/raw-file/tip/tvprofile/tv.html#input-methods

I think traditional Remote Control input methods are a basic requirement for TV-based apps, as are virtual keyboards (most TV interfaces use both in combination). Further down the line, there is Kinect-type camera input coming from Samsung.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/
[2] http://dev.webinos.org/specifications/draft/tv.html