Re: [profile] Scope of the TV Profile document

Great to see action on the TV profile.

On 1/5/12 4:56 AM, "Giuseppe Pascale" <giuseppep@opera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:40:48 +0100, Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> 2) We have found it key to making our HTML5 applications work on
>>> consumer electronics devices that we consider performance as well as
>>> conformance. It may be that a given device supports a given feature but
>>> it is just too slow to be useful. Performance requirements would need
>>> to be defined in terms of specific performance tests/benchmarks and
>>> would provide guidance to implementors as to where to focus
>>> optimization efforts.
>>>

>> Completely agree, but I envision this as a second (set of) document.
>> First, I would like to write the functional architecture. Second step
>> could be to deal with performances. W3C is probably not the right place
>> to write a normative performances document, but what we could discuss is
>> probably how to measure such performances (and which one are relevant
>> for the industry) leaving to other groups to deal with a minimal
>> performance requirements.  Given the limited bandwidth I would start
>> with this once the profile document is at least half way through. Unless
>> someone is willing to drive this second effort, in this case, we can
>> discuss them in parallel.
>>

> Giving it a second thought, we may want at least for now add a section in
> the profile document about this (and split it later only if it grows)
> As said this would be more to point out which performance metrics should
> be considered, and in some cases suggesting (not mandating) minimal
> performance requirements.
>
> I also think that "performance" is to be intended in a wider sense that
> just "speed". e.g. features that rely on disk space (app-cache) may be
> enabled but unusable if the memory available on the device is limited.

I agree on defining the metrics to measure "performance" / goodness factor
of the implementation. We could even designate an appropriate score for each
such quality giving the implementers an easy way to measure and compare
implementations.

/Bent

--
Bent G Christensen, Ph.D.