[profile] Next profile call, profiling criteria and new draft

Few misc info:

1. Next call was scheduled for next monday but I cannot attend it, so I
propose to postpone it to the week after (i.e. to Monday the 12th). Calls
details can be found at [1]. I'll send out a reminder.
2. I've got no reply to the mail below, would be good to get participants
input on it.
3. Before digging into the actual profiling work, would be good to pin
point all the specs we want to reference. I've tried to add to the latest
draft [2] the specs that I think are relevant.
Please check if anything is missing or if there are concerns on things
included.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Profile/Telco
[2] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webtv/raw-file/tip/tvprofile/tv.html

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:15:42 +0100, Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> before starting to "profile" the technologies that will go into our
> document, I think is important to establish some criteria that will
> guide us in the profiling work.
> In short we need the answer to the question: "how do we decide if a
> given technology is to be included in our profile"?
>
> I think we need to consider at least the following:
>
> - wide adoption on the web.
> - the referenced spec must have sufficient stability/maturity
> ("sufficient" to be defined ;) )
> - avoid overlap: we should not be referencing multiple technologies that
> cover exactly the same set of use case.
> - implementable across all range of devices.
> - minimal profile (try to keep the profile small)
>
> (btw once we agree on the criteria these should be included in the
> design goals)
>
> Exceptions to the rules should be possible but limited.
>
> I feel that the rules above may lead us to exclude some technologies
> that while widely adopted in some regions/ecosystems do not match all
> the criteria listed above.
>
> I was then wondering if we should proceed as follow: design a "base
> profile" with all the pieces we agree are absolutely needed. Once this
> work is done, one or more extended profiles may be defined for use in
> other scenarios.
>
> Thoughts?

TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software