Discovery API proposals: call for comments

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:57:46 +0200
Cc: public-web-and-tv@w3.org, W3C WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
Hi all,

there have been two primary proposals for a Discovery API that would enable web pages to (shockingly enough) discover services (on the device, the local network, or possibly remote) through common mechanisms such as DNS-SD or UPnP.

One of them comes from Opera:

    http://people.opera.com/richt/release/specs/discovery/Overview.html

And the other comes from Webinos:

    http://dev.webinos.org/deliverables/wp3/Deliverable32/static$42d2e5ab28271945244cdeb7579c65fd.html

Ideally, we'd like to start with either of those and, if sensible, make sure it supports the use cases of the other. We're therefore calling for feedback from anyone interested in this topic.

Please direct replies towards public-device-apis@w3.org where the work is taking place. Thanks!