Re: Web and TV Accessibility

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Robert Pearson <robert.pearson@ami.ca>wrote:

>  Hello everyone,****
>
> ** **
>
> As you know, we’ve just joined the mailing list discussions and are focused
> upon accessibility.  Unfortunately we are not able to join you all next week
> for the workshop and the face to face, but we’ve compiled some thoughts on
> the topic of Web and TV Accessibility that we felt appropriate to pass along
> to this mailing list, as approved by Kaz and Francois, as the schedule is
> set already for next week.  Perhaps they may be able to generate some
> discussion then on the topic of accessibility as the idea of an
> Accessibility TF is further discussed.****
>
> ** **
>
> A word document version is attached and a plain text version appears below,
> following my signature.****
>
> ** **
>
> We look forward to continuing the discussion with you all going forward.**
> **
>
> ** **
>
> Regards,****
>
> ** **
>
> [image: Description: Description: Description:
> cid:08E24B25-3C56-4902-BF67-3D80D7C6AF6B]****
>
> ** **
>
> ROBERT PEARSON**
>
> *DIRECTOR, ACCESSIBLE DIGITAL MEDIA***
>
> direct: 647 729 3917****
>
> toll free: 1 800 567 6755**
>
> 1090 Don Mills Road, Suite 200**
>
> Toronto, ON M3C 3R6**
>
> www.ami.ca**
>
> ** **
>
> *Web and TV Accessibility*
>
> ** **
>
> For decades, the accessibility of TV has been a concern.  Being a medium
> that is consumed through sight and sound, the needs of those experiencing
> deficiencies in these two capacities have never been fully met.  The
> technology of closed captioning for the hearing impaired and audio
> description/described video for the visually impaired have evolved at
> different rates and the availability of these two technologies continues to
> be limited.  Although, being a more straightforward technology to implement,
> the availability of closed captioning on both analog and digital signals
> have been much more significant than audio description.  Closed captioning
> technologies benefit from established standards, while audio description
> standards do not yet exist.  These technologies have not typically been a
> significant requirement of licensing; therefore their availability continues
> to be limited along with the methods and appropriate processes for their
> implementation.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> The accessibility of TV has historically not been amongst the top
> priorities of the industry.  For instance, despite the length of its
> existence, closed captioning has changed little since it was first
> conceived.  Television though has evolved from analog to digital to 3D along
> with significant increases in available programming.  In response to this
> [...]

Are you aware of the <track> element in HTML5 and all the different kinds of
timed text tracks it can provide to video? These include captions,
subtitles, descriptions, and chapters (as in: navigation), as well as
multitrack audio and video support (for audio descriptions and sign
language). Also, there was a media group in the accessibility task force of
HTML5 which specified a requirements list, see
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_Requirements . Is
there any requirement you have that is not yet considered?

Regards,
Silvia.