Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Terminology section of the requirements document

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 14:59:24 +0200, WRIGHT, STEVEN A <sw3588@att.com>
wrote:

> I would *hope* that this group's work is independent of address format
> etc., but I still think it would be helpful to indicate that the
> simplistic single legacy IPv4 subnet may not be a valid assumption,
> precisely because there are folks that don't know anything else might
> exist.  I would prefer to leverage an existing definition from another
> SDO if possible but the text below should help set the direction viz:
>

> home network
> For the purposes of this document, the term "home network" refers to the
> networking infrastructure that facilitates Internet Protocol
> communications between devices within the home. This may range from a
> single legacy IPv4 subnet to multiple IPv4 subnets and dual stack or
> IPv6 environments and will typically (but not always) be connected to
> the Internet.

given that nobody objected I merged your changes:
http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/index.php?title=HNTF/Home_Network_TF_Requirements&diff=1199&oldid=1190

> Another point I am concerned about is the assumption that the home
> network is geographically restricted to a specific residential area.
> Why is that assumption important? Are devices in my vacation home on my
> home network? Does this imply some content licensing restriction?

We had the same discussion but didn't address this for lack of time. This
was captured by some text in the "open issues" section
http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/HNTF/Home_Network_TF_Requirements#Open_Issues

If you feel like proposing some more text for that section, feel free to
do it.

/g

> __
>
>  Steven Wright, MBA, PhD.