W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-and-tv@w3.org > September 2011

[MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] minutes - 8 September 2011

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 02:35:57 +0900
Message-ID: <4E68FCFD.8040509@w3.org>
To: "public-web-and-tv@w3.org" <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
available at:
http://www.w3.org/2011/09/08-webtv-minutes.html

also as text below.

Kazuyuki

---
[1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                   Media Pipeline Task Force Teleconf

08 Sep 2011

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/Agenda_Telco_8th_September_2011

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/09/08-webtv-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Duncan, Kazuyuki, Jan, Clarke, Russell, Bob, Igarashi, Aizu,
           Eric, Steven, Juhani, Dave, Narm, Mark_Watson

    Regrets
    Chair
           Clarke

    Scribe
           kaz_

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Update on issues from last week
          2. [6]Merging of issue-18 and issue-39 (Bob and Jan)
          3. [7]Clarify wording on issue 40 (concern with word
             "enforce") (Russell)
          4. [8]Clarify explanations on DRM requirements, also consider
             more specific DECE requirements (Bob)
          5. [9]Continuing issue acceptance review (beginning with issue
             42)
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    <francois> [Regrets for this call. I'm on a call for the WebRTC
    working group. I'll monitor IRC]

    <igarashi> zakim ??p49 is igarashi

    <Clarke> Agenda:
    [11]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/Agenda_Telco_8th_Septembe
    r_2011

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/Agenda_Telco_8th_September_2011

Update on issues from last week

    clarke: bob, any update?

Merging of issue-18 and issue-39 (Bob and Jan)

    jan: we can continue the discussion offline on the reflector

    bob: my issue-39's point was types of metadata
    ... while 18 was more generic
    ... I'll post comments on the reflector

    jan: we have bug reports
    ... would like to talk about the bug

    kaz: which bug?

    jan: 389 is related to issue-18
    ... HTML5 bug

    clarke: good suggestion
    ... requirements comes from these issues are good

    kaz: will they create a new issue based on the discussion?

    jan: the conclusion depends on the discussion

    bob: discussion first

    jan: can I reopen HTML5 bugs which has been already closed?

    kaz: you should be able to send a message to the public list

    clarke: one of the bugs is closed but the other 3 are still open

    <Clarke> The other 3 are still open

    clarke: should we ask HTML WG to reopen 13333?

    <scribe> ACTION: jan to send a message to HTML WG public list and
    talk with the group about how to deal with the closed bugs, e.g.,
    13333 [recorded in
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2011/09/08-webtv-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-75 - Send a message to HTML WG public list
    and talk with the group about how to deal with the closed bugs,
    e.g., 13333 [on Jan Lindquist - due 2011-09-15].

    jan: just to clarify, how to refer closed bug

Clarify wording on issue 40 (concern with word "enforce") (Russell)

    russell: would like one more week

    clarke: ok

Clarify explanations on DRM requirements, also consider more specific
DECE requirements (Bob)

    (Bob is disconnected...)

    clarke: we have issue-40 and issue-41
    ... and would like to see the difference

    bob: contacted DECE
    ... we'll have discussion next week
    ... Jim Taylor

    <Clarke> Taylor

    bob: security specification

    <Clarke> Works for DECE

    russell: various ways for security
    ... Amazon, Netflix
    ... negotiation for separate systems
    ... so implementation specific

    bob: that's one possible mechanism
    ... for download
    ... whatever content protection
    ... another possibility is direct streaming
    ... in that case DECE common encryption
    ... MPEG DASH is one example

    clarke: can you define "LASP" ?

    <Clarke> or "LASP" ?

    <davidmays> yes it's LASP

    <davidmays> LASP = Locker Access Streaming Provider

    <Clarke> thanks

    juhani: (explains the mechanism; but his voice is breaking...)
    ... various potential protection mechanisms

    clarke: ok

    bob: would restate our purpose is common mechanism
    ... sharing common encryption

    clarke: bob will meet DECE and clarify their requirements

    bob: if there is a plan on browser-based technology by DECE, will
    let the TF know
    ... no intention of specific DRM mechanism, but common encryption
    mechanism
    ... try to put ideas on wiki
    ... have specific examples
    ... within next couple of days
    ... will generate a wiki page first

    <scribe> ACTION: lund to generate a wiki page on examples of common
    encryption mechanism [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2011/09/08-webtv-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-76 - Generate a wiki page on examples of
    common encryption mechanism [on Bob Lund - due 2011-09-15].

    bob: something like CODECs, content providers can choose appropriate
    mechanism

    clarke: number of possible protocols
    ... which one is supported, and priority, etc.

Continuing issue acceptance review (beginning with issue 42)

    issue-42?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-42 -- Content delivery to personal computers --
    raised

    <trackbot> [14]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/42

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/42

    <Clarke> issue-42
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Delivery
    _to_pc

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Delivery_to_pc

    clarke: (explains the issue)
    ... Personal computers are a desirable target for service providers
    to deliver content.
    ... can we accept this?

    dave: are we thinking of tablet, etc.?

    bob: depends on particular tablet
    ... vendor's specific tablet
    ... some of them are PC-like ones
    ... but some of them are retail devices

    dave: mobile devices like mobile phones

    bob: fine with rewording
    ... what is the characteristics of "personal computers" ?
    ... software-based solution

    clarke: personal computer and CE devices
    ... you don't want to drop targets, do you
    ... overlapped list

    dave: ok

    juhani: what about requirements for issue-43?

    clarke: 42 description is fine, but need rewording "personal
    computers"

    russell: W3C makes implementation-based distinction

    bob: no suggestion of W3C level
    ... how you might implement content security on a personal computer
    ... software environment is quite open
    ... while no support with hardware level
    ... platform distinction may drive different consideration
    ... keep handling different platforms separately
    ... other distinction is also possible
    ... different economic consideration
    ... there are distinctions we need discussion
    ... what we want to understand is different category of devices have
    different compliance rules
    ... compliance of robustness

    russell: we have to write recommendations which are fairly neutral

    clarke: some of the key difference may effect our requirements
    ... "personal computing device" and "consumer device"

    juhani: mobile phones and smart phones belong to issue-43 (CE
    devices), don't they?

    bob: accessibility is also the key

    clarke: anybody oppose to accept issue-42 as a requirement?

    russell: need rewording
    ... between hardware-oriented devices and the others
    ... a bit confused what issue-42 want to say

    bob: clarification is issue-42 is identifying more open and
    accessible devices
    ... while issue-43 is identifying more close devices
    ... would like add clarification

    <Clarke> For reference, here is issue 43:
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Delivery
    _to_ce

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Delivery_to_ce

    issue-43?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-43 -- Content delivery to retail consumer
    electronics devices -- raised

    <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/43

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/43

    russell: source code is available for webkit

    clarke: would suggest we mention the spectrum of devices
    ... one end of the spectrum is pc and another end is ce

    +1

    bob: makes sense

    clarke: russell, maybe you could take discussion with Bob offline,
    couldn't you?

    dave: should mention characteristics as well

    russell: f2f plan?

    clarke: f2f meeting on 21st-22nd right after the workshop on
    19th-20th

    <Clarke> Thanks, Kaz

    np

    <Clarke> -Clarke

    Clarke, Bob will try to put issue-42 and issue-43 together. right?

    there was much scratch, and I couldn't here him

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: jan to send a message to HTML WG public list and talk
    with the group about how to deal with the closed bugs, e.g., 13333
    [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2011/09/08-webtv-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: lund to generate a wiki page on examples of common
    encryption mechanism [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2011/09/08-webtv-minutes.html#action03]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [20]scribe.perl version 1.136
     ([21]CVS log)
     $Date: 2011/09/08 17:32:57 $

      [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 8 September 2011 17:36:03 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 8 September 2011 17:36:04 GMT