Re: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] Common content security requirements

On 1 Sep 2011, at 20:01, Mays, David wrote:

> This would require some kind of API that the browser would expose,
> allowing the various DRM-enabled video players or plug-ins to register as
> "handlers" for a particular type of <source> element.

Right, but this is a matter of the interface between browsers and plug-ins, which isn't covered by the W3C's specs _at all_, and varies wildly between platforms.

Personally, I think it'd be great if browsers which provide plug-ins (i.e., all of the desktop ones) should get together and extend their respective interfaces to do that, and I'd love it to happen… but it's not something which is currently in-scope (AFAIK) for the W3C's working groups, and I can't see that likely change, either (the very real risk is that people would spend a lot of time and effort speccing something which neither the browser developers nor the plugin developers used).

M.