From: Mark Watson [mailto:watsonm@netflix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:50 AM
To: Leung, Ted
Cc: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
Subject: Re: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] HTML Content Protection errors

Hi Ted,

I think before we can discuss these errors we need to agree on what architectural assumptions we're making. If we followed the proposal that Netflix made in February then some of these errors would be handled by the Javascript application, not by the user agent.

If we are following a different model, we need to start by describing that model, which would entail describing - in a DRM-system-independent way - exactly what functions are assumed to be provided by the DRM component. Only then we can work out what errors those functions could throw (at least, in a way that can be understood without having to understand any particular DRM).

We also need to think carefully about the purpose of more detailed error reporting. For me the purpose is so that the application can give advice to the user or to customer service about what went wrong. Another goal is to limit the information flow from UA to script as far as possible within the objective - this is for security and privacy reasons. So we probably don't want to report things that the application can determine some other way (for example from the service itself) - only things which are detectable only in the UA.

I'll put up a more detailed version of our February proposal on the wiki later this week or early next.

...Mark