Re: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] HTML media errors

On Nov 4, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Jan Lindquist wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adding the granular aspect is very useful. My suggestion is to simply add a reason attribute to give the additional details. I am concerned with possible too many layers. You have 3 levels with this proposal, general error, http error and http response code. Or maybe I misunderstood.

If you mean a free-format "reason" string field, this is very unlikely to fly in HTML - I floated it in the Content Protection breakout and got a pretty negative response from the HTML people there.

The three layers are (i) the existing error code (~3 values) (ii) more specific code for network errors (iii) http error code in the specific case of http errors.

Layers are good for errors, because scripts can choose what level of detail they are interested in.

> The question is what can be done with the error reason. Does it need to be formalized so the application can take different actions based on reason or is it simply to facilitate support. I believe the intention is the later, simply facilitate support. So simply a string and not necessarily code is needed.

I believe we need specific well-defined values to get it into HTML.

...Mark