Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Timing of this TF (was: New TF on Home Networking - Call for Participants)

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:45:45 +0200
Cc: <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
To: 이현재 <hj08.lee@lge.com>
Hi,

On Mar 31, 2011, at 10:26 , 이현재 wrote:
> DAP has highly focus on mobile phone API As far as I know.

That's actually not at all the case. DAP is focused on APIs that expose a service of the underlying device, which may be any kind of device, mobile or otherwise. Nothing that we do is in any way mobile-specific or even particularly mobile-oriented. Of course, all the APIs work in a mobile environment, but that's a requirement for all W3C WGs nowadays.

> Would you please let me know some key questions about current status of DAP?
>
>  1> Does DAP have TV manufacturer expert or UPnP expert inside?

You can see a list of participants at:

  http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=43696

As you can see it does include some TV companies, and of course we can always welcome more (though DAP would probably not be the right place for TV-specific technology, rather for technology that TV use cases require but that are more broadly useful).

>  2> Does DAP have design principle of Device API? If so, could you explain
> the general rule?

The core, driving principle is the creation of APIs that are secure and privacy-aware in a regular browsing environment. It may not seem like much but that rule is sufficient to arbitrate a lot of debate in API creation. Beyond that, it's just good, clean JS APIs.

>  3> What Browser vendors have interest in implementing Device API?

I cannot speak for companies that I do not represent. I have received indications of interest from several browser vendors; I think that this will be clearer after the rechartering.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/