Re: DAP rechartering discussion

One more comment way below ...

On Mar 16, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Matt Hammond wrote:

> [...]
>> is just the beginning. It's not just about good recommendation engines,
>> but about the whole user experience, which is why we need flexible
>> presentation environments on the devices presenting user interfaces and
>> the interaction between them.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree that there may well be aspects of your service,
> particularly its metadata, that cannot be wholly encompassed by an API
> such as the one we have worked on, and that it is important to be able to
> innovate in the remote interface as a part of the service proposition.
> We're hoping that a basic level of metadata and structure could be
> modelled using such an API, but then device/service specific extensions
> could be used to support additional Netflix specific data. This data could
> be used by Netflix specific remote clients.
>
>> On Mar 15, 2011, at 7:49 PM, Matt Hammond wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mark,

> ...snipped start of my reply...
>
>>> I'd also be keen to see access to the application layer protocol level
>>> abstracted and simplified for common client environments - such as
>>> javascript in the browser context. Perhaps this would take the form of
>>> client side implementations as device APIs, or as pure javascript
>>> libraries.
>>
>> Javascript libraries would provide a lot more flexibility, unless you
>> thought there might be performance concerns. If there was, for example,
>> an open source client-side library that people could use for their UC
>> implementation you have all the advantages of ease-of-use, avoid (some)
>> problems with divergence features supported by different devices and
>> avoid the difficulty in upgrading devices to support new features. The
>> baked in device APIs would be kept to the lower layer stuff (Zeroconf
>> etc.) that would hopefully be more static.
>
> I agree - Javascript libraries would seem more logical if the inter-device
> protocol is standardised and implementable in javascript within the
> browser context. I don't see there being particular performance concerns.
>
> ..snipped outline of domain model..

> ..snipped discussion of rendezvous/pairing mechanisms..
>
>>> Generally though, for all our use cases, we've considered the server
>>> side
>>> to be a device feature, rather than a application with a transient
>>> lifecycle.
>>
>> I don't see an advantage in making things a device feature which could
>> easily be implemented as a web app, given the appropriate platform APIs.
>
> In the context of accessibility, or even just alternative 3rd party
> created remote controls; the ability to control the TV/STB needs to be
> there from the moment it is switched on to the moment it is switched off
> and in all states the box might be in (watching TV or VoD, in menus, etc)
> If implemented as a web app, would that realistically be achievable? We
> also included in our API the ability to bring the device out of standby

I could imagine the web environment being there right from the beginning on the TV or STB - the first thing it does out of the box being to start up some default app with the manufacturers UI.

If I have some remote application it finds the TV using some low-level mechanism and, once securely associated, requests it to run some different app - one that pairs with my remote application in some way.

The device features are limited to the discovery, secure app launch capability. The Javascript APIs on the device need to expose device features (like TV channel and other playback, recording, ESG access etc.). Think about all device behaviour being controllable by Javascript, so all TV watching happens "inside" one app or another, rather than "beside" the app. It's not a contradiction for the server side of a remote UI to itself be an application provide all device functions are visible from the app environment.

...Mark