RE: about high-level or low-level API (ISSUE-17)

Hello Clarke,

1.       Allowing a UA to send arbitrary messages on the HomeNetwork
creates a security exposure. In order to "enforce" some kind of security
model the UA needs to know what kind of device its talking to. A UPnP
framework would need to enforce this by doing partial discovery (only
basic type information about a device) unless the webpage provides the
UA a password to access that device. This requires some predefined
knowledge of the HN protocols being used.

2.       How does the HN specific code get installed on a UA. Is it
built in? How does a web-page determine what (built-in) HN Technologies
a particular UA supports? Is a UA allowed to dynamically load
"plugin-like" HN access code? How is this done in a browser neutral way?

3.       In terms of access to UA platform functions, I was talking
about something that converts a UA into a HN server (rather than a
client). An example would be a webpage that allows a UA to expose some
part of its underlying file-system to other UAs. This would typically be
done by running a webserver and supplying the necessary PHPs. However,
I think we are looking for an all-in-the-box solution that allows a UA
to do this without installing a webserver and PHPware.

4.       Is there a requirement for a "sandbox" mode where a suspect
webpage could be restricted in its access to HN protocols. This would
again require some knowledge of what the webpage was trying to do on the
HN rather than allowing generic access.

Regards,

Russell Berkoff

Samsung