Re: webtv-ISSUE-24 (igarashi): Local Link of web applications [HOME_NETWORK_TF]

Hi,

This is an interesting use case and set of scenarios. I believe it will be
important to enable communications between interactive
services/applcations on a TV and other devices in a manner perhaps along
the lines you suggest.

I have an old-style use case that perhaps could be incorporated into your
list of scenarios (with a little rewriting):

"""
Scenario: enabling interaction between companion content and television
interactive services

One or more companion devices can communicate with an interactive widget,
application or service on the television. For example: a quiz programme
may feature an interactive service to allow users to play along. Users
each use their own individual companion device to participate in the quiz,
in time with the programme as broadcast. As the programme progresses,
questions are presented to the users on their companion device at the same
time as the contestant in the programme has to answer them. Scores are
compared and collated on the television screen at points throughout the
quiz.
"""

There may be some overlap between this and issue-4 or issue-12; however I
believe there is probably a difference, since the scenarios focus on
applications spread across several devices working together, rather than
migration, or the wholesale remoting of a UI.

 From our perspective at the BBC, it would be great if the scope is widened
such that one of the applications may not necessarily be a web application
but which still, in some way, exposes a service with which web
applications could communicate. In the UK for example, interactive
applications delivered as part of the TV broadcast on many of the
platforms these will not be web based for the forseable future.

regards

Matt