RE: webtv-ISSUE-38 (Revised API): CableLabs Simplified Home Networking API Proposal [HOME_NETWORK_TF]

Hello Clarke,

Concerning the submission.

1.  My understanding is that HNTF deals with requirements rather than specific implementations. ISSUE-23 deals with required support of UPnP/DLNA devices. If there is some requirement to support alternate Home-Network discovery mechanisms (such as Bonjour) I would suggest submitting a separate issue.

2.  The proposed interfaces do not adequately deal with security and privacy on the home network.

Even a valid Java applet can violate end-user privacy constraints. These issues must be dealt with within the User-Agent rather than in downloaded applet code. The proposed interfaces appear to violate cross-domain scripting constraints.

3.  I'm not sure there is a W3C requirement for User-Agents to provide Java (JVM) support.

Regards,

Russell Berkoff

Samsung