W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-and-tv@w3.org > July 2011

[MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] minutes - 14 July 2011

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 02:37:14 +0900
Message-ID: <4E1F294A.1060102@w3.org>
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
available at:
http://www.w3.org/2011/07/14-webtv-minutes.html

also as text below.

Kazuyuki

---

   [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                          MPTF weekly teleconf

14 Jul 2011

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/Agenda_Telco_14th_July_2011

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/14-webtv-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Kazuyuki, Clarke_Stevens, Russell_Berkoff, Jan_Lindquist,
           Gondo, Aizu, Duncan, Igarashi, Mark_Vickers

    Regrets
    Chair
           Clarke

    Scribe
           Kaz

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Client Ad Insertion (ISSUE-31)
          2. [6]Media Synchronous Web Content (ISSUE-32)
          3. [7]Timed Text (ISSUE-33)
          4. [8]Adaptive Bit Rate Delivery (ISSUE-34)
      * [9]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

Client Ad Insertion (ISSUE-31)

    clarke: start use case discussion

    <Clarke> Use case 1:
    [10]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Client_A
    d_Insertion

      [10] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Client_Ad_Insertion

    issue-31?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-31 -- Client Ad Insertion -- raised

    <trackbot> [11]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/31

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/31

    clarke: (explains the use case - issue-31)
    ... overlay and insertion
    ... local addition

    jan: question about in-band/out-of-band
    ... SCTE 35 covers both?

    clarke: does cover in-band
    ... what about out-of-band, Mark?

    mark: don't know

    jan: can check

    clarke: also allows local content to be played
    ... and added
    ... application besides advertisement should be supported
    ... also some requirements derived
    ... timed text cue
    ... for advertisement

    <JanL_> +q

    clarke: may be multiple media streams
    ... content segment specified by time
    ... overlay over the existing stream
    ... any requirements or questions?

    jan: two comments
    ... maybe should be more generic (rather than SCTE 35)

    clarke: completely agree
    ... not try to copy SCTE 35
    ... just want to SCTE 35 covered

    jan: should be rather "client content insertion"

    clarke: ok

Media Synchronous Web Content (ISSUE-32)

    <Clarke> Use case 2:
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Media_Sy
    nchronous_Web_Content

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Media_Synchronous_Web_Content

    issue-32?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-32 -- Media Synchronized Web Content -- raised

    <trackbot> [13]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/32

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/32

    clarke: media synchronous Web content
    ... presumably streaming media content
    ... (explains the use case description)
    ... the content provider can signal messages that control Web
    content lifecycle
    ... track elements expected to only at the beginning of a media
    stream
    ... make sense?
    ... (motivation)
    ... don't have any specific standard here
    ... but one example is CableLabs' EISS

    jan: reference to EISS?
    ... isn't MPEG-7 another example?

    clarke: will add reference
    ... timed text track cue
    ... need to identify paused/record/etc.
    ... any additional requirements?

Timed Text (ISSUE-33)

    <Clarke> Use case 3:
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Timed_Te
    xt

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Timed_Text

    issue-33?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-33 -- Timed Text -- raised

    <trackbot> [15]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/33

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/33

    clarke: just called "Timed Text"
    ... basically, timed text for "closed captions" and "subtitles"
    ... Government-mandated standards

    Mark: feedback from HTML5?
    ... I'm not an expert of closed captions or subtitles
    ... but the Accessibility Group should have been working with HTML5
    group

    jan: old issue with <video> element
    ... subtitle is not by default selected
    ... there is a requirement put on the bugzilla
    ... application would know how to switch subtitles
    ... which one to use first and which one next
    ... covered by issue-18

    clarke: multiple-language caption

    jan: suggestion is merging issue-33 and issue-18

    clarke: good idea
    ... anything to add, Mark?

    mark: no

    kaz: anybody interested in HTML5 LC comments?

    mark: I'm interested but how to organize the review?

    kaz: will send a message and suggest a possible procedure

    <scribe> ACTION: kaz to send out a message on HTML5 LC comments from
    the Web and TV IG [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/14-webtv-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-54 - Send out a message on HTML5 LC
    comments from the Web and TV IG [on Kazuyuki Ashimura - due
    2011-07-21].

    mark: looking at the HTML5 editor's draft asking for review
    ... there is specific format expected for the review

    jan: we should be very careful

    clarke: they're not looking for new features

    <mav_> From [17]http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html "Feedback
    Comments Please enter your feedback, carefully indicating the title
    of the section for which you are submitting feedback, quoting the
    text that's wrong today if appropriate. If you're suggesting a new
    feature, it's really important to say what the problem you're trying
    to solve is. That's more important than the solution, in fact. "

      [17] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html

    kaz: also the WAI-PF group is interested in the IG's work
    ... will send a message to continue the discussion

    <scribe> ACTION: kaz to send a message to the IG list and start
    discussion about possible joint meeting with WAI-PF group during
    TPAC 2011 [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/14-webtv-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-55 - Send a message to the IG list and
    start discussion about possible joint meeting with WAI-PF group
    during TPAC 2011 [on Kazuyuki Ashimura - due 2011-07-21].

    <Clarke> Use case 4:
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Adaptive
    _Bit_Rate_Delivery

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/MPTF_Discussions/Adaptive_Bit_Rate_Delivery

Adaptive Bit Rate Delivery (ISSUE-34)

    issue-34?

    <trackbot> ISSUE-34 -- Adaptive Bit Rate Delivery -- raised

    <trackbot> [20]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/34

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/issues/34

    clarke: this is adaptive bit rate
    ... assume sending video content on a reliable network
    ... user agent can support multiple adaptive bit rate
    ... (explains the description)

    jan: how can you introduce adaptive bit rate which is not supported
    natively?

    clarke: in the protocol some tag could be added

    jan: similar issue in issue-18
    ... should have a standard way for the extension

    clarke: ok

    jan: point 2 should be modified
    ... next comment is
    ... we don't have to conclude the point 3

    clarke: these are examples we might want

    jan: we (=Open IPTV Forum) have supported JavaScript APIs for that
    purpose

    adk m

    mark: item 1 is currently supported
    ... but 2, 3 are not supported by standard way

    clarke: might not be supported is continuing streams

    jan: something is missing. we should consider changes over time

    clarke: we're out of time
    ... don't think we can finish issue-34 today
    ... any questions?

    mark: we should handle content protection as well

    clarke: like that idea

    jan: probably a category of use cases

    mark: maybe more than one use cases, but might be just one

    clarke: if you want to include that topic into the scope of this TF
    ... I'll change the charter's scope

    jan: we don't have any mechanism for DRM
    ... for <video> element
    ... would be better to have extension for <video> element about
    content protection first, and then we could consider DRM

    mark: something like plug-in or new standard API?

    jan: thinking about standard API

    mark: agree
    ... no DRM could be standardized by W3C
    ... so if there is some extension mechanism for proprietary DRM
    systems
    ... it would be good
    ... extensible <video> element would be a use case

    clarke: I won't be here
    ... is anybody interested in charing the call next week?

    mark: maybe focused on HTML5 extension

    kaz: who will chair the call next week then?

    clarke: will talk with people about that.

    [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: kaz to send a message to the IG list and start
    discussion about possible joint meeting with WAI-PF group during
    TPAC 2011 [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/14-webtv-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: kaz to send out a message on HTML5 LC comments from
    the Web and TV IG [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2011/07/14-webtv-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [23]scribe.perl version 1.136
     ([24]CVS log)
     $Date: 2011/07/14 16:52:12 $

      [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 14 July 2011 17:36:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:44:03 UTC