Re: HTML5 Last Call May 2011 & DASH/Adaptive Streaming

On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:09 AM, Jan Lindquist wrote:

> - There is a means of retrieving the available representations (from min to max) and the current representation.
>
> I'm not sure why this would be needed ?
> [JLI>] This is the range of streams and the available "bandwidths". So you get a list of what is available and which one is being used.
>
> By why? What would you use that list for ?
>
> JLI> The purpose is to be able for an application to keep track of the available levels and to keep track of the current selected level. The timing for the content provider to keep track of the available levels makes it tricky to have an accurate view of the player. I could then show a layered bars each bar representating a bandwidth (id) and it can change as the content is being viewed. It can give a good user experience to know what is going on with the content similar to know the status of my WiFi connection.

I'm wary of saying this is as simple as exposing the available bandwidths, especially since the bandwidth figure is defined in terms of the minBufferTime and so is meaningless without it. If I have two streams, with ( minBufferTime, bandwidth ) pairs of ( 1s, 1000kbit/s ) and ( 2s, 900kbit/s ), which has higher quality ?

If the requirement is just for displaying "signal strength bars" to the user, then it seems not to be essential - a service can always do this itself based on the @id. I think some better notion of quality would be needed to have a service-independent implementation.

...Mark