Re: HTML5 Last Call May 2011 & DASH/Adaptive Streaming

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:59:11 -0500
To: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, Jean-Claude Dufourd <jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr>, "Richard Maunder (rmaunder)" <rmaunder@cisco.com>, public-web-and-tv@w3.org
On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 18:40 -0500, Ali C. Begen (abegen) wrote:
> I think folks need to agree on the container format not the codec type. A good container format will be good for several codecs that exist today and will yet to come.

My understanding is that the IP issues surrounding the codec types are
also surrounding the container formats and the streaming technologies.
So, I'd be surprised if any agreement was reached within the HTML
Working Group on those topics. I can't imagine a different conclusion
that the H.264/Theora discussion at this point. In any case, as Glenn
alluded to, HTML has been technology neutral since the beginning. Unless
I'm mistaken, we don't require implementations to support a specific
image format.

Philippe